9.200, Qs: Past Tense, "photograph", "DO"

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Feb 10 12:10:34 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-200. Tue Feb 10 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.200, Qs: Past Tense, "photograph", "DO"

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 8 Feb 1998 16:25:28 -0500
From:  Vincent Jenkins <Distinction at compuserve.com>
Subject:  Past tense in English

2)
Date:  Mon, 9 Feb 1998 15:45:25 -0600
From:  Graeme Forbes <forbes at mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu>
Subject:  Syntax and semantics of "photograph"

3)
Date:  Tue, 10 Feb 1998 12:14:08 +0300
From:  "natashag" <natashag at tversu.ru>
Subject:  DO in affirmative sentences

Date:  Sun, 8 Feb 1998 16:25:28 -0500
From:  Vincent Jenkins <Distinction at compuserve.com>

Dear Linguists

What _is_ the function of the English past tense? And is there not a better
name for it?

Sentences such as the following (which refer to the present and/or future):

1.  John said that he was busy.
2.  I wish I didn't smoke so much.
3.  You could see the manager if you came back tomorrow.
4.  It's time we went.
5. They had better hurry.

indicate that the so-called past tense in English marks something other
than, or in addition to, past time.

Indeed, the pair of sentences

6a.  If I win the lottery I'll stop working
6b.  If I won the lottery I'd stop working

suggests that the choice of tense depends on the speaker's assessment of
the future, not the past.  "If I win..." sounds considerably more
optimistic than "If I won..." .  The speaker of (6a) thinks he has a
chance, the speaker of (6b) doesn't.

I wouldn't like to say what the semantic difference is in this next pair.
Syntactically does <PAST> move to or from the NP?

7a.  She was my wife.
7b.  She is my ex-wife.

I should like to hear of any other terms which have been suggested for
'present tense' and 'past tense' and arguments for or against them. But I
feel that I should say at the outset that I do not have an open mind on the
subject.  I think that the current terms mislead foreign learners of
English into wrongly equating tense and time.

As far as I know the only other names with any currency are 'first form'
and 'second form' which are used in the former Soviet Union.

Michael Lewis (1986), The English Verb, Language Teaching Publications
examined English tense and aspect in some detail and concluded that the
past tense denoted remoteness.  He proposed the terms 'basic' and 'remote'
in place of 'present' and 'past', but has had few followers however.
Charles Hockett (1958), A Course in Modern Linguistics, NY,  discussed a
similar concept in passing.  He said that one of the design features of
human language was 'displacement' - the ability talk about events remote in
space and time from the speaker.  But if there were a one-to-one
correlation between past tense and displacement/remoteness it would have
been spotted long ago.  Unfortunately the implication works in only one
direction.  Although past tense signifies remoteness, remoteness does not
require past tense.  E.g  If I say to you, "My mother's house has stone
walls", the house is remote geographically from both of us, I'm using my
memory to visualise it, you're using your imagination, but the tense is
present.

During a dialog the past tense signals to the listener that he/she must
look inwards not outwards to understand what is being said (Once upon a
time there were three bears...).  But again this works only in one
direction:  introspection does not require past tense.  "I think therefore
I am," is well-formed.

One fundamental difference between 'past tense' and 'present tense' that I
see is in the realm of possible futures.  The present tense is used in
reference to  that which can be seen projecting into the future ("If I
win...",  "The train leaves at 3.00"), while the past tense is used in
reference to  that which is not a possible future ("If I won...",  "The
train left at 12.00").  Naturally the whole of the past is
not-a-possible-future.

"Possible future" and impossible future" would be dreadful names for the
English tenses, but I find "present" and "past" increasingly inadequate.
Are there any other contenders?  What do Arabs, Bantus, Cambodians ...
Zulus call the English tenses?  I'll post a summary of responses.

Vincent Jenkins
Computational Linguist and
Teacher of English as a Foreign Language
Salisbury, UK
Distinction at compuserve.com