9.220, Books: Lang Acquisition

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Feb 13 18:23:51 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-220. Fri Feb 13 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.220, Books: Lang Acquisition

Assistant Editors:  Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Helen Dry <hdry at emunix.emich.edu>

Links to the websites of all LINGUIST's supporting publishers are
available at the end of this issue.

Date:  Tue, 10 Feb 1998 17:26:48 +0000 (GMT)
From:  geoffs at cogs.susx.ac.uk (Geoffrey Sampson)
Subject:  EDUCATING EVE

Date:  Tue, 10 Feb 1998 17:26:48 +0000 (GMT)
From:  geoffs at cogs.susx.ac.uk (Geoffrey Sampson)

Linguist List subscribers may have been puzzled on 7th February by
a posting in which a publisher included a notice of a new book, but
omitted its title and other relevant details.  The book was my
EDUCATING EVE.  Since there were some omissions in the original
posting, I would like to briefly say what was left out.

EDUCATING EVE, subtitled "The 'Language Instinct' Debate", 160 pp., hardback,
ISBN 0304339083, is available in the USA from Cassell/Books International,
Herndon VA, tel. 1-800-561-7704 or 703 661 1501; and in the UK from
Cassell of London, +44 171 420 5555.  It is a reply to Steven Pinker's
widely-read 1994 book THE LANGUAGE INSTINCT.  Pinker's book argued that
detailed knowledge of language is biologically innate in human beings.
My EDUCATING EVE examines all of Pinker's arguments, as well as the
older arguments on which Pinker relies.  I show that each strand
of argument either is logically fallacious, or is based on false
premisses (or, sometimes, both at once).  There is no "language instinct".

The Language Use Discussion list, based at Temple University, has carried
a contribution (by Donald Carroll, not previously known to me)
which commented that EDUCATING EVE "has got to be the definitive
response to Pinker's book and Chomskyan nativism in general
... a wonderful book".  I hope my publisher's Internet-naivety will not
prevent EDUCATING EVE being read.

Geoffrey Sampson

School of Cognitive & Computing Sciences
University of Sussex
Falmer, Brighton BN1 9QH, GB

e-mail geoffs at cogs.susx.ac.uk
tel. +44 1273 678525
fax  +44 1273 671320
Web site http://www.grs.u-net.com

 [Moderators' note:  Since mistakes were made in the original posting,
 LINGUIST is reposting the full text of the announcement below.]

Title: Educating Eve