9.232, Sum: "Faux Amis" (False Friends)

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Feb 16 16:51:13 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-232. Mon Feb 16 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.232, Sum: "Faux Amis" (False Friends)

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 16 Feb 1998 10:37:36 +0200 (EET)
From:  Catarina Forslund FRA <cforslun at ra.abo.fi>
Subject:  Sum: "Faux Amis" (False Friends)

Date:  Mon, 16 Feb 1998 10:37:36 +0200 (EET)
From:  Catarina Forslund FRA <cforslun at ra.abo.fi>

	I would like to thank everyone who responded to my query on
false friends which I made before Christmas. I did not get that many
this summary, I would like to mention some references which I think
might be interesting for others too.

 1. Jean-Marie Le Huche: "235 Faux-amis" in Moderna Sprak, number
LXIX, vol.  2, 1975, pp. 152-168.  This article contains 235 semantic
false friends between French and Swedish + a semantic
classification(four types).

2. Bernd Spillner: Error Analysis. A Comprehensive Bibliography,
Amsterdam/ Philadelphia, Benjamins 1991.  This book contains more than
100 references on false friends.

3. Alberto Alvarez Lugris: Os falsos amigos da traduccion: criterios
de estudio e clasificacion, Vigo, Servicio de Publicacions da
Universidade de Vigo, 1997.  This book written in Galician is a
theoretical study and classification of false friends with exemples
from Galician-English false friends.

4. The Dictionary of International English is also supposed to contain
lists of false friends.

Thank you once again for all your help! If anyone still has any
comments or refernces on false friends, please do not hesitate to
contact me.

  Catarina Forslund
  Student of French
  University of Abo Akademi, Finland