9.265, Sum: Asian Adjectives

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Feb 22 16:02:24 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-265. Sun Feb 22 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.265, Sum: Asian Adjectives

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 20 Feb 1998 10:06:45 +0100
From:  "Michael Jung" <mkjung at zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Subject:  Asian Adjectives

Date:  Fri, 20 Feb 1998 10:06:45 +0100
From:  "Michael Jung" <mkjung at zedat.fu-berlin.de>

Dear Linguists,

In January I asked for references to recent papers or books on the syntax and
semantics of adjectives in East Asian languages.

There was only very little response which leads me to the conclusion that not
too much work has been done in this interesting field recently.

I received the following references (given here together with possible
comments by the senders):

Caluianu, Daniela. 1996. "Case patterns with subjective adjectives".
   Tsukuba Journal of Applied Linguistics 3: 27-41.
   [The article treats case marking alternations on the Experiencer
    argument of Japanese adjectives.]

Chen, Qiming. 1996. Structure of noun phrases and in Chinese and
   its consequences. [Ph.D. Diss., University of Maryland.]

Mo, Jianmin. 1997. Adjectifs et constructions comparatives en chinois
   contemporain. Paris. [Ph.D. Diss.]

Sackmann, Robin. 1996. "The problem of 'adjectives' in Mandarin Chinese".
   In: Sackmann, Robin (ed.). Theoretical Linguistics and Grammatical
   Description. Amsterdam: Benjamins. (= CILT, 138).
   [... thorough and theoretically well-founded study on the syntactic
    and semantic features of alleged 'adjectives' in Mandarin. ...
    summarizes the arguments against 'adjectives' in Chinese. ]

Yoo, Hyun-Kyung. 1997. A study of Korean adjectives. [Ph.D. Diss.,
   Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea].
   [comprehensive and very lengthy study on Korean adjectives, written
    in Korean but with summary in English.]

Many thanks to those who responded.

Michael Jung

Michael Jung