9.267, Sum: Japanese L1 Acquisition

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Feb 23 11:50:19 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-267. Mon Feb 23 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.267, Sum: Japanese L1 Acquisition

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Elaine Halleck <elaine at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 22 Feb 1998 08:25:36 -0600
From:  David Ludden <david-ludden at uiowa.edu>
Subject:  Japanese First Language Acquisition

Date:  Sun, 22 Feb 1998 08:25:36 -0600
From:  David Ludden <david-ludden at uiowa.edu>

language acquisition, I received many requests to publish a summary, but
only one informative response, that from Lynn Santelmann of the University
of Wisconsin. She offers the following:

(Lynn Santelmann wrote:)-------------
[T]he article by Patricia Clancy in the Slobin volumes on the
Crosslinguistic Study of Language Acquisition (... V. 1)... gives a general
introduction to the characteristics of Japanese child language.

You might also consider posting a query to the Info-CHILDES list
run by Brian MacWhinney at Carnegie Mellon. It's a list serve
primarily for child language researchers. To subscribe,
send an e-mail to: macw at cmu.edu

There is a Japanese corpus that has been contributed to the
CHILDES system by Susanne Miyata. So you can go to the CHILDES
site look at that data as well - making sure you cite the original
researcher (I think she also wants to be notified if someone uses
her data, even without publishing.)

- ----------------------------------
I thank Lynn for her help.

To Lynn's response I can add:

Sanches, Mary Mildred. 1968. Features in the Acquisition of Japanese
Grammar. (PhD dissertation available from UMI Dissertation Services.)

This is all I have come up with so far. (I was hoping that perhaps work in
this area had been done in Japan by Japanese researchers.) Since this seems
to be a topic of interest to a number of people, I will post another summary
later if I come up with more information.

Regards,
David Ludden

* David Ludden			    *
* Dept. of Linguistics              *