9.20, Qs: Arabic, Jakobson, Discourse in CMC, Neologisms

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Jan 9 02:29:09 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-20. Fri Jan 9 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.20, Qs: Arabic, Jakobson, Discourse in CMC, Neologisms

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 5 Jan 1998 23:23:12 -0400
From:  Martha McGinnis <marthajo at MIT.EDU>
Subject:  Arabic question

2)
Date:  Tue, 06 Jan 1998 23:39:31 +0100
From:  Hartmut Haberland <hartmut at ruc.dk>
Subject:  Jakobson quote

3)
Date:  Wed, 07 Jan 1998 09:51:14 +0100
From:  Robert Germain Watts <rgwatts at studi.unizh.ch>
Subject:  In-Turn Discourse Features in Computer-Mediated Communication

4)
Date:  Tue, 6 Jan 1998 00:21:16 -0600 (CST)
From:  Helge Niska <Helge.Niska at tolk.su.se>
Subject:  Neologisms in interpreting

Date:  Mon, 5 Jan 1998 23:23:12 -0400
From:  Martha McGinnis <marthajo at MIT.EDU>

I'm wondering if any speakers or scholars of Standard Arabic can help
me out.  I gather that the constructions in (a) and (b) are possible.
What I'm wondering is whether there's a long-distance anaphor in
Arabic that can be bound by a matrix argument, as in the translation
of (c) or (d).  If so, can that anaphor appear in (e) or (f)?

a.	dhanan-tu l-taalib-a ?anna Zaynab-a ta-'rifu-hu.
	'I believed that Zaynab knew the student.'
b.	dhunn-a al-taalib-u ?anna Zaynab-a ta-'rifu-hu.
	'The student was believed that Zaynab knew him.'

c.	______________________________________________
	'I told the student that himself (subj) knew Zaynab (obj).'
d.	______________________________________________
	'The student was told that himself (subj) knew Zaynab (obj).'

e.	dhanan-tu l-taalib-a ?anna _______ ta-'rifu-hu.
	'I believed that himself knew the student.'
f.	dhunn-a al-taalib-u ?anna ________ ta-'rifu-hu.
	'The student was believed that himself knew him.'

If you know the answer, please contact me as soon as possible.  Many
thanks!

Martha McGinnis
MIT

Martha McGinnis         MIT Linguistics/RTG
E39-240 MIT           4E Tutor, East Campus
55 Hayward St.               (617) 225-6480

http://web.mit.edu/marthajo/www/home.html