9.27, Sum: Tenses

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Jan 10 01:24:34 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-27. Sat Jan 10 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.27, Sum: Tenses

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 06 Jan 1998 15:17:43 +0000
From:  Minako Nakayasu <nakayasu at kwc-u.ac.jp>
Subject:  Sum: Tenses

Date:  Tue, 06 Jan 1998 15:17:43 +0000
From:  Minako Nakayasu <nakayasu at kwc-u.ac.jp>

Dear LINGUIST Subscribers,

Late in September I sent out an E-mail inquiry on tense in complement
clauses (8.1369). I would like to thank the following people for their
kind replies. I will enclose a summary of their answers.

Special thanks to linguists who answered my questionnaire:

Rebecca Gross
David Harris
Shari L. Rosenblum
Anthea F. Gupta
Rebekkah         (Her surname is not known)
David Houghton

The summary is as follows:

>In each of the sentences below, the main clause has the past tense and
>the complement clause has the past/present tense.  Which tense would you
>choose in the complement clause?  If both of them are OK, *please* give
>a context in which each of the tense can be used.

(1)   Did you know I am/was allergic to alcohol?
      (either OK:2; past preferred:1; only past:3)
(2)   Didn't you know I am/was allergic to alcohol?
      (either OK:2; past preferred:1; only past:3)
(3)   Did you know he is/was allergic to alcohol?
      (either OK:2; past preferred:1; only past:3)
(4)   Didn't you know he is/was allergic to alcohol?
      (either OK:1; past preferred:2; only past:3)
(5)   Did you know I have/had arrived?
      (either OK:0; past preferred:1; only past:5)
(6)   Didn't you know I have/had arrived?
      (either OK:0; past preferred:1; only past:5)
(7)   Did he know I have/had arrived?
      (either OK:0; past strongly preferred:2; only past:4)
(8)   Didn't he know I have/had arrived?
      (either OK:0; past preferred:1; past strongly preferred:1;
       only past:4)
(9)   Did you know he is/was going out with her?
      (either OK:3; past preferred:1; only past:2)
(10) Didn't you know he is/was going out with her?
      (either OK:o; past preferred:3; only past:3)
(11) I knew you are/were allergic to alchonol.
      (either OK:1; past preferred:1; only past:4)
(12) I didn't know you are/were allergic to alcohol.
      (either OK:1; past preferred:1; only past:4)
(13) I said he is/was going out with her.
      (either OK:1; past preferred:4; only past:1)
(14) I didn't say he is/was going out with her.
      (either OK:1; past preferred:2; past strongly preferred:1;
       only past:2)
(15) I thought he is/was going out with her.
      (either OK:0; past strongly preferred:1; only past:5)
(16) I didn't think he is/was going out with her.
      (either OK:0; past strongly preferred:1; only past:5)

>>From their comments --

(7)   "had" is most appropriate in these 4.  The present tense
      sounds silly.

(9)   is - if he still is
      was - if he no longer is                      (Rebekkah)

(10) Your sentence all illustrate that one can use "did you
     know" as an equivalent of "do you know".  This only makes
     sense, since knowledge is persistent.  The past form for
     asking about current knowledge is more polite, perhaps
     because it implicates that whatever the past case, the
     hearer is no longer ignorant.
                                               (David Houghton)

(13) Sentence # 13 is the only one I said "both" for even though
     I think it's abit awkward using the present. But it could
     be used if you were directly quoting yourself.
                                                  (David Harris)

(14) Here, I might use the present tense in the following
     circumstances:

     I said he *is* going out with her.  (correcting a mistaken
                                                  understanding)
     I said, "He is going out with her." (repeating verbatim)
                                               (Shari Rosenblum)

(13)(14) It's because (13) is asserting a fact -- the embedded
      proposition is true -- , whereas (at least in most
      readings) 14-15 are questioning or denying the embedded
      proposition.
                                                 (Anthea Gupta)

It was really intriguing to discuss delicate issues such as tense
choice with those linguists.  I am going present a paper at PACLIC 12
to be held at National University of Singapore on February 18 - 20.  I
will take some of these results into consideration.

Minako Nakayasu
Assistant Professor
Kagoshima Women's College
1904 Uchi