9.40, Qs: Nominative Langs, Sapir-Whorf, Imitation, Book

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Jan 11 15:34:25 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-40. Sun Jan 11 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.40, Qs: Nominative Langs, Sapir-Whorf, Imitation, Book

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 11 Jan 1998 16:43:57 +0500 (GET)
From:  Temur Kutsia <temo at viam.hepi.edu.ge>
Subject:  Nominative Languages

2)
Date:  Sun, 11 Jan 1998 09:18:08 -0500
From:  labrecqd at cite.net (Dominique Labrecque)
Subject:  Sapir-Whorf Approach

3)
Date:  Sun, 11 Jan 1998 10:53:11
From:  "Dr. John Skoyles" <skoyles at globnet.co.uk>
Subject:  Imitation

4)
Date:  Sun, 11 Jan 1998 11:52:55 EST
From:  RSchwa6866 <RSchwa6866 at aol.com>
Subject:  Book

Date:  Sun, 11 Jan 1998 16:43:57 +0500 (GET)
From:  Temur Kutsia <temo at viam.hepi.edu.ge>

Do any of you know about active languages (in the sense of Sapir) that
developed from nominative type?

I have examples of nominative languages derived from active
(european), the ergatives derived from active (iranian), the active
from ergative (Bats) but have no example of active from nominative
type languages.

Are there any theoretical implications that does not allow such way of
development? I would really appreciate if you could offer me
references in this respect.

I'll try to post a summary afterwards.

Sincerely,

	Nino Amiridze