9.47, Disc: Prescriptivism

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jan 13 22:20:57 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-47. Tue Jan 13 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.47, Disc: Prescriptivism

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 6 Jan 1998 08:33:34 -0500
From:  ocls at ipa.net (George Elgin,Suzette Haden Elgin)
Subject:  Re: Disc: Prescriptivism

2)
Date:  Tue, 6 Jan 1998 17:37:25 EST5EDT
From:  "Marie C. Egan" <egan at black.cla.sc.edu>
Subject:  Re: 9.8, Disc: Prescriptivism

3)
Date:  Wed, 7 Jan 1998 01:06:46 EST
From:  Gethsemani <Gethsemani at aol.com>

Date:  Tue, 6 Jan 1998 08:33:34 -0500
From:  ocls at ipa.net (George Elgin,Suzette Haden Elgin)

        Recently there've been postings to this discussion proposing
that the real purpose of prescriptivism is to preserve and promote
"the right to draw lines between us and them."

        Having been mostly a member of "them," most of my life,
including being a high school foreign language teacher, I would like
to bring up just one issue here. I understand the reaction of dismay
when teachers refuse even to discuss these matters. I know how I felt
about the administrator who told me I'd be fired if I didn't stop
*explaining* things to the students in my foreign language classes
instead of teaching them the garbage that was in the textbook. Teach
to the test or get out, he said, and I didn't admire him for
it. However, I think we have to consider how and why such attitudes
arise and persist as they do.

       Suppose that when you got to elementary school and had to do
math for the first time the teachers all insisted that two and two are
five, except when the outside temperature falls below 37 degrees -- in
which case two and two are, temporarily, six. This would never work in
the outside world; when you divided up candy with your friends you
would have to do it based on the rule you knew to be the truth: that
two and two are four. Always.  But if you tried to use that on a test,
you flunked; if you argued about it, you were punished; and the only
way you could get promoted to the next grade in school was to write
"Two and two are five, except, etc." Suppose this sort of thing went
on year after year, and the people who -- unlike you -- refused to
knuckle under and memorize the nonsense got kept back, barely squeaked
through high school, couldn't pass the SAT and get into college --
ended up being permanently part of "them," in other words.  Suppose,
having survived being educated, you found yourself hired to do this
same number to *your* students for the rest of your working life. I
ask you: would *you* be willing to discuss this issue? Would you want
to be forced to admit that you'd devoted much of your life to
memorizing nonsense and were now making your living teaching nonsense
to yet another generation of children? I don't think so.

       "Language" teachers outside the most prestigious university
departments are in an impossible ethical quandary. They can stand
before their classes every day and teach what they know to be
nonsense, and live with what that does to their minds and spirits; or
they can flat-out refuse to even *look* at anything that might force
them into that position, in order to stay sane.  To be able to wave
books and articles that enshrine the nonsense is a help to them. For sure.

       Meanwhile, most linguists -- with very good reason -- staunchly
refuse to take on this horrible mess. I understand that, and I don't
blame them. But I don't think it would hurt to acknowledge that as
long as we *don't* take it on, it will only grow ever more
ossified. And I don't think it would hurt to acknowledge that
"academic freedom" is a luxury most teachers outside the ivory towers
can only dream about.

       Suzette Haden Elgin
       ocls at ipa.net