9.73, Disc: L2 and Dreams

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Jan 17 16:09:34 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-73. Sat Jan 17 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.73, Disc: L2 and Dreams

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:38:14 -0700
From:  "Duane L. Blanchard" <blanchau at student.suu.edu>
Subject:  Re: 9.67, Disc: L2 and Dreams

2)
Date:  Sat, 17 Jan 1998 16:33:57 +0100
From:  Magosanyi Arpad <mag at bunuel.tii.matav.hu>

3)
Date:  Sat, 17 Jan 1998 09:50:51 +0200
From:  Florin <florin48 at fx.ro>
Subject:  L2 and dreams

Date:  Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:38:14 -0700
From:  "Duane L. Blanchard" <blanchau at student.suu.edu>

I disagree, but only partly.  I think that in the subconscious realm, we
understand and retain more language than we are consciously capable of.  This
accounts only for the extended fluency, however, and not for being able to
communicate without using a language as you suggest in the cases of the Deaf.

Of the L2 dreams  I have personally had, I  do remember one in which I
was speaking to a young  Mongolian girl on the  train from Bei Jing to
Ulaanbaatar.  I  was much more  fluent than  I  could consciously have
been, but  even then, I  fumbled with  a word that  I didn't  know.  I
described the word  to  the girl and she   told  me what  it  was.   I
remembered having learned it before, but it had been a long time since
I had used  it in conversation.  I find  it remarkable that I couldn't
recall  the word "consciously"  in my dream,  but that I could use the
word in her reply to my questioning.

Anyone else care to share a memorable L2 dream?

Duane L. Blanchard