9.90, Disc: L2 and Dreams

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jan 20 22:59:51 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-90. Tue Jan 20 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.90, Disc: L2 and Dreams

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 19 Jan 1998 15:41:58 -0800 (PST)
From:  Emily Bender <bender at csli.Stanford.EDU>
Subject:  L2 and Dreams

2)
Date:  Mon, 19 Jan 1998 23:02:32 -0800 (PST)
From:  Isa Kocher <isa786 at rocketmail.com>
Subject:  Re: 9.73, Disc: L2 and Dreams

3)
Date:  Mon, 19 Jan 1998 23:58:07 -0800 (PST)
From:  Isa Kocher <isa786 at rocketmail.com>
Subject:  Re: 9.76, Disc: L2 and dreams

4)
Date:  Tue, 20 Jan 1998 08:48:06 -0500
From:  ocls at ipa.net (George Elgin, Suzette Haden Elgin)

Date:  Mon, 19 Jan 1998 15:41:58 -0800 (PST)
From:  Emily Bender <bender at csli.Stanford.EDU>

> Anyone else care to share a memorable L2 dream?

Okay, I can't resist:

Shortly into a one-year stay in France (before which
I had only had a couple of years of highschool French)
I had my first dream in "French" ...  I could tell
that the people in my dream were talking to me in French
because I couldn't understand them!

Upon waking I wondered to what level of detail I had
created the "French" -- if there were any similarities
in prosody or phonology to real French, or if it was
just an impression of language-like noise.

-  Emily