9.104, Disc: L2 and dreams

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Jan 22 23:11:00 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-104. Thu Jan 22 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.104, Disc: L2 and dreams

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 20 Jan 1998 21:04:11 -0800 (PST)
From:  "Dan I. SLOBIN" <slobin at COGSCI.Berkeley.EDU>
Subject:  Re: 9.76, Disc: L2 and dreams

2)
Date:  Wed, 21 Jan 1998 12:58:25 -0500 (EST)
From:  x9705546 <D.Horn at uea.ac.uk>
Subject:  Re: 9.90, Disc: L2 and Dreams

3)
Date:  Thu, 22 Jan 1998 00:25:28 -0800 (PST)
From:  "Dan I. SLOBIN" <slobin at COGSCI.Berkeley.EDU>

4)
Date:  Thu, 22 Jan 1998 04:45:36 PST
From:  "KIM DAMMERS" <kdammers at hotmail.com>
Subject:  L2 dreams

Date:  Tue, 20 Jan 1998 21:04:11 -0800 (PST)
From:  "Dan I. SLOBIN" <slobin at COGSCI.Berkeley.EDU>

Well, I'll add another anecdote, because of the interesting level of
metalinguistic awareness in dreaming:  I dreamed that I was in China, and
was frustrated that I couldn't have the dream in Chinese, which would
have made it seem more authentic.  So I decided to carry on the dream in
Russian (in which I am fluent), and had the pleasant double-consciousness
of the dreamer believing he was carrying on conversations in Chinese,
along with the lucid dreamer who knew that it was really Russian.  I
distinctly remember real conversations in Russian in that dream, along
with the belief that they were in Chinese.

Dan Slobin
Dept of Psychology
Univ of Calif, Berkeley