9.115, Disc: L2 and Dreams

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Jan 24 01:48:42 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-115. Sat Jan 24 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.115, Disc: L2 and Dreams

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 23 Jan 1998 12:45:22 +0800 (CST)
From:  "Karen S. Chung" <karchung at ccms.ntu.edu.tw>
Subject:  Re: 9.104, Disc: L2 and dreams

2)
Date:  Fri, 23 Jan 1998 00:13:10 -0500
From:  faber at haskins.yale.edu (ALICE FABER)
Subject:  L2 and dreams

3)
Date:  Fri, 23 Jan 1998 11:11:47 +0100
From:  andrew at enstimac.fr (Andrew McMichael)

4)
Date:  Fri, 23 Jan 1998 09:36:40 -0600 (CST)
From:  Marcia Haag <haag at phyast.nhn.ou.edu>
Subject:  9.104 Disc:  L2 and dreams

Date:  Fri, 23 Jan 1998 12:45:22 +0800 (CST)
From:  "Karen S. Chung" <karchung at ccms.ntu.edu.tw>

  A related? point: Especially when I had not been living in my L2
country (Germany) very long and really especially when I had to see a
bureaucrat, I would dress rehearse what I would say before I had a
conversation.  Since then, I have sometimes been back in my mother
country (USA) and found myself going through the same procedure
(sometimes in German, sometimes in English) when I have a "heavy"
interview coming up.  Then I jog myself and say 'Hey, I don't have to
do this!'

KIM DAMMERS  U. Goettingen.

	Actually, I think this has the buds for an interesting
offshoot discussion in itself. In my own experience of learning
Mandarin, there was a phase when I was in fact more fluent and
comfortable speaking Mandarin than I was in my native language,
English. At first it was ego-boosting and amusing, but then I realized
not being as articulate as I should be in my own language was nothing
to be proud of.

	After thinking about it carefully, I realized this happened
because I had developed the more-or-less subconscious habit of
rehearsing beforehand all kinds of things I was going to say in a much
more complete way than I ever did in English - so my Mandarin could
flow when my English often faltered. I dealt with this by working
harder at my English - holding long conversations (which were
sometimes a bit self-conscious - both the listening and the speaking
parts) with sharp colleagues and friends, reading well-written
materials in a very engaged way, looking up new words, making written
or mental notes of new idioms and constructions.  At some point, I
noticed while teaching that my English now 'flowed' much better, and I
felt a sense of relief. Since then I've been big on reminding my
English students in Taiwan of the importance of cultivating your first
language.

					  Karen Steffen Chung
					  National Taiwan University
					  karchung at ccms.ntu.edu.tw