9.121, Qs: English, Verbal Language, Pre-Indo-European

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Jan 25 14:06:09 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-121. Sun Jan 25 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.121, Qs: English, Verbal Language, Pre-Indo-European

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 24 Jan 1998 00:58:15 -0800 (PST)
From:  Erika Lynn Wolfe <wolfee at elwha.evergreen.edu>
Subject:  English as Official Language of Aviation

2)
Date:  Sat, 24 Jan 1998 07:48:11 EST
From:  JPKIRCHNER <JPKIRCHNER at aol.com>
Subject:  Verbal L1/2

3)
Date:  Fri, 23 Jan 1998 18:34:59 +0300
From:  Dipartement de frangais <frances at philol.msu.ru>
Subject:  Pre-Indo-European

Date:  Sat, 24 Jan 1998 00:58:15 -0800 (PST)
From:  Erika Lynn Wolfe <wolfee at elwha.evergreen.edu>

HELP! I am seeking information (literature, research, contacts, etc.) on
the idea that English is the "official language of the skies." I
currently work for the FAA and am working on my Master's in public
administration. I am a linguist at heart (and by undergraduate
qualifications) and want to relate my thesis to linguistic aspects of
public admin.

I am interested in finding out what linguistic barriers exist in
international airspace because of inadequate (possibly inadequate)
training in English? Is the flying public's safety in jeopardy because
there are no strict enough qualitative standards? There are many, many
issues that go along with this issue, and I am looking for any
information that may exist on this subject in the linguistic community.
>>From the FAA/ICAO end, I am getting virtually no response.

Any help would be of immense help.

Respond to: Erika Wolfe at either: wolfee at elwha.evergreen.edu  OR
Erika.Wolfe at faa.dot.gov. (The first e-mail address is preferable.)