9.988, Qs: Fieldwork storage media, Lenk language

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jul 1 22:26:28 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-988. Wed Jul 1 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.988, Qs: Fieldwork storage media, Lenk language

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 30 Jun 1998 16:15:38 -0500
From:  Mark Mandel <Mark at dragonsys.com>
Subject:   computer storage media for fieldwork?

2)
Date:  Wed, 1 Jul 1998 12:19:50 +0500
From:  "Victor Pekar" <vpekar at pool.ufanet.ru>
Subject:  The Lenk language

Date:  Tue, 30 Jun 1998 16:15:38 -0500
From:  Mark Mandel <Mark at dragonsys.com>

For mass data storage during extended fieldwork, I am considering two
types of media:
 - writeable CD-ROMs (optical)
 - capacious removable disks such as Jaz or Sparq disks (magnetic)

I would like advice on the robustness of these media (and the hardware
necessary to record them) to climatic extremes of temperature and
humidity, as well as the risks of transportation, airport scanning,
and Customs. Thank you. Please reply to me at the address above or
below. If there is interest I will post a summary.

       Mark A. Mandel : Senior Linguist : mark at dragonsys.com
    Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 796-0267
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02160, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com/