9.998, Sum: Stress shifts in compounds

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Jul 4 19:07:25 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-998. Sat Jul 4 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.998, Sum: Stress shifts in compounds

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Elaine Halleck <elaine at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 03 Jul 1998 14:21:36 +0200
From:  Ian Watering <Ian.Watering at luh.hihm.no>
Subject:  Stresss shift in compounds etc.

Date:  Fri, 03 Jul 1998 14:21:36 +0200
From:  Ian Watering <Ian.Watering at luh.hihm.no>

Thanks for your useful and interesting comments to my question, where I
used "Berlin" and "princess"  as examples of words with double/level
stress in Br. Eng.. The examples were chosen at random.
Your comments showed:
1. "princess" is always PRINcess in Am.Eng. Anything else would sound
"British"/"affected".

2. You don't all agree on "Berlin".
a) About 40% accept BERlin in contexts like   "BERlin Wall",  but berLIN
in  "the wall through berLIN".
b) About 60% have invariable berLIN. Among this group there are those
who say they have NEVER heard Berlin stressed on the first syllable.
(Perhaps we should arrange a meeting between groups a and b! You come
from all over the States, so this doesn't appear to be a difference of
dialect.)

3. However, many of you pointed out other examples of the same sort of
stress shift in Am.Eng., all of which would also sound natural in
Br.Eng.

moTEL               vs        MOtel Six
tenesSEE            vs        TEnessee walking horse
tallaHASsee        vs        TALlahassee lassie
port allaGHEny   vs        ALLagheny county
hirTEEN etc        vs        THIRteen men
chiNESE             vs        CHInese checkers
politics in d.C      vs         D.c politics
corNELL university  vs    CORnell avenue  etc

The phenomenon is referred to "stress retraction",   "stress clash and
clash resolution", and the "Thirteen-Men Rule"!

Hope that this reply has resolved the clash.

Yours unstressed,

Ian W.