9.1046, Sum: Spectrogram Software

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Jul 16 13:15:52 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1046. Thu Jul 16 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1046, Sum: Spectrogram Software

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Julie Wilson <julie at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 15 Jul 1998 14:50:31 -0400
From:  Marek Przezdziecki <map18 at cornell.edu>
Subject:  Sum: Spectrogram Software for PC/Windows95

Date:  Wed, 15 Jul 1998 14:50:31 -0400
From:  Marek Przezdziecki <map18 at cornell.edu>

A few months back (12/97) I inquired about PC/Windows95 software for
producing spectrograms. I am enclosing the responses, edited for brevity.
Thank you to all who replied.

Marek Przezdziecki
Cornell University
Department of Linguistics
214 Morrill Hall
Ithaca NY 14853

map18 at cornell.edu

Try CoolEdit. You can get it at http://www.syntrillium.com
Another excellent software is Hypersignal.
All us win95 users use Cool96 from Syntrillium.

It is shareware, and I have used it thru the last three
versions, and paid for it.  Really outstanding.  DL It from

www.Syntrillium.com, try it, if you like it, buy it and get
full functionality by email password.
What about Sound Forge 4.0 and its plugins ?
See http://www.sfoundry.com . It does the job quite well.

Another modest sugestion, much less expensive, could be the COOL EDIT.
See http://www.syntrillium.com
My favorite is GRAM23 available at:

http://www.winsite.com/info/pc/win3/sounds/gram23.zip
- You might want to check our database on sound analysis software at:

http://dsg.sbs.nus.edu.sg/datasoft.html

It describes 20+ software packages and has links to the products' web pages.
What about Sound Forge 4.0 and its plugins ?
See http://www.sfoundry.com . It does the job quite well.

Another modest sugestion, much less expensive, could be the COOL EDIT.
See http://www.syntrillium.com
Try Spectrogram v. 4.1. by R. Horne.  The program is available as freeware
at www.winsite.com and probably at other download servers.
Yes, try Spectra Plus, by Pioneer Hill Software, (360) 697-3472.

www.telebyte.com/pioneer

It offers good control over frequency range, duration,  number of points,
etc. If you can live with its copy protection, I use it and I recommend it.
I've used spectra plus for some time, (mainly to analyse the acoustic
structure of consonant-vowel syllables) and I think it's an excellent product.

For more information see:

http://www.telebyte.com/pioneer/index.html
We are using "Goldwaves" on the PC with Windows95 to edit .wav files, but
we are unaware of a spectrograph in that free internet program.
"Spectra Pro" from Sound Technology is a very good signal analysis package
that operate in Windows95.  You can download a fully functioning version
from their web site.  It will operate for 30 days.  After that time you'll
need to contact Sound Technology for a key.  Go to my web site at
www.eskimo.com/~cetacean  and click on the SOFTWARE link to get to a page
with a link to Sound Technology. Please mention my name if you decide to
purchase the software.

Good luck,

Joseph R. Olson
Cetacean Research Technology
7309 26th Ave. NW
Seattle, WA  98117  USA
You should check out the following site and the following product:

"Winpitch"  by Philippe Martin

www.winpitch.com

I have worked with this product at length and find it to be truly
excellent.
I know of such a program working under Windows 97 and quite inexpensive. It
does real-time spectrograms, Fo analysis and synthesis. You can get a
detailed  description and a demo from the web site "www.winpitch.com".
I'd suggest MultiSpeech by Kay, it is the software version of CSL.
the Praat program ( http://fonsg3.let.uva.nl/praat )
is a comprehensive system for doing phonetic by computer.

Though only the Macintosh, SGI, Solaris, and HPUX versions
are available now, a Windows95 version is under development
and will appear in March 1998.
I've been using WinSal speech analysis running on Windows 95 with
reasonable success at a reasonable cost. There is a website for further
information: http://www.media-enterprise.de

My only real negative comment is that the quality of printouts on a laser
printer is not very high. I've had better results, though, on a BubbleJet
or ColorJet printer.
I have been using WINCECIL from SIL (www.sil.org).  The organization allows
free academic use.  It has undergone periodic upgrades.

What I would like to use is the Multi-Speech program from Kay, but I
dont have departmental approval yet.

Both of these options can be investigated on the web, I'm sure.
Matlab is great for all data analysis jobs, including spectral analysis.

Look at http://www.mathworks.com