9.1048, Qs: Textbooks, Computer Teaching, Arabic Grammar

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Jul 16 13:31:03 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1048. Thu Jul 16 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1048, Qs: Textbooks, Computer Teaching, Arabic Grammar

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Julie Wilson <julie at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 13 Jul 1998 14:32:40 +1000
From:  Duncan Markham <dmarkham at deakin.edu.au>
Subject:  textbook recommendations/webpage

2)
Date:  Thu, 16 Jul 1998 13:04:37 +0800
From:  "Sun Honglin" <sunhl at blcu.edu.cn>
Subject:  Qs: Advice on good books about Computer Assisted Teaching

3)
Date:  Thu, 16 Jul 1998 13:48:15 +0000
From:  "Geert-Jan M. Kruijff" <gj at Kwetal.ms.mff.cuni.cz>
Subject:  Logical/formal grammar and Arabic

Date:  Mon, 13 Jul 1998 14:32:40 +1000
From:  Duncan Markham <dmarkham at deakin.edu.au>

Dear Colleagues,

What are your favourite textbooks, most hated textbooks, most imaginative
textbooks, least proofread textbooks...? I am attempting to compile reviews
and opinions of textbooks used in some areas of linguistics teaching. The
collected material will then be made available on WWW for all interested
parties to access.

I welcome contributions about textbooks in languages other than English
(please provide a review in English, though)!

The areas for which I am seeking responses are:

* introductory linguistics
* phonetics (and subdisciplines)
* phonology
* sociolinguistics
* second language acquisition
* psycholinguistics

Contributions can be anonymous if necessary.

If possible, please give some details of

* the context in which you have used a book (eg, level of study (eg, 2nd
year), general calibre of students taking the subject, number of students,
whether it was used as the primary or only reading),

* how long the book has been used in your / your institution's teaching

* the strengths and/or weaknesses of the book in terms of, eg, content,
presentation, comprehensiveness, errors, breadth of application, etc.

* and anything else you want to add!

The URL of this teaching resource will be forwarded to LINGUIST LIST when
the results have been compiled.

Duncan Markham

Dr Duncan Markham     dmarkham at deakin.edu.au  ph:+61-(0)3-92517149
                                             fax:+61-(0)3-92446755
Linguistics, Literary & Communication Studies,
Deakin University, 221 Burwood Hwy, Burwood  VIC  3125, AUSTRALIA