9.1068, Qs: Grammar, Wood, Phonetics, MT

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Jul 25 15:21:50 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1068. Sat Jul 25 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1068, Qs: Grammar, Wood, Phonetics, MT

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 21 Jul 1998 18:28:31 +0100 (BST)
From:  "Larry Trask" <larryt at cogs.susx.ac.uk>
Subject:  Dictionary of Grammar

2)
Date:  Tue, 21 Jul 1998 18:00:26 -0500
From:  "Peter R. Burton" <burto009 at maroon.tc.umn.edu>
Subject:  Wood as Timber & Lumber

3)
Date:  Wed, 22 Jul 98 12:55:24 -0000
From:  Armindo Ngunga <asangu at zebra.uem.mz>
Subject:  Acoustic Phonetics Software

4)
Date:  Wed, 22 Jul 1998 12:42:00 -0400
From:  keith at mitre.org (Keith J. Miller)
Subject:  Prepositions in Machine Translation

Date:  Tue, 21 Jul 1998 18:28:31 +0100 (BST)
From:  "Larry Trask" <larryt at cogs.susx.ac.uk>

The publisher and I have agreed that I should begin thinking about a
second edition of my Dictionary of Grammatical Terms in Linguistics,
originally published in 1993.  Because of my other commitments, the
new edition isn't going to happen soon, but perhaps it's not too soon
to start collecting ideas.

Therefore, I am writing to invite you to submit suggestions for the
revised edition.  I expect to have more space at my disposal this
time, though I don't yet know how much, and so I should be able to
expand the coverage a bit.

If you wrote to me earlier with suggestions or corrections, I should
have those on file, but you're welcome to write again anyway.

First of all, please note that this a dictionary of grammar
(morphology and syntax), and of nothing else whatever.  Only
grammatical terms can be considered for inclusion, though I do hope to
include some terms from the diachronic study of grammar.

Second, note that I have to be very sparing with technical terms
peculiar to one particular theory of grammar.  I will, of course, be
entering the most prominent terms from recent work in
Principles-and-Parameters syntax and in the Minimalist Program, but I
certainly won't have space to include everything.

I will particularly welcome the names of new(ish) theories of grammar,
including computational approaches, since these are easy to overlook.

I already plan to incorporate some terms from earlier versions of
generative grammar which space limitations forced me to exclude from
the first edition, such as `kernel sentence' and `Opacity Condition'.

If you have a term to suggest for inclusion, it would be very helpful
if you could include as much as possible of the following information:

1. The pronunciation (only if this is not obvious);
2. A proposed definition;
3. One or two examples of use;
4. A complete reference to the first published use of the term;
5. An indication of the context in which the term is used;
6. In the case of a substantial concept (such as a theory of grammar),
     any suggested reading that might be useful for a student wanting
     to pursue it;
7. A brief statement of why the term is important enough to be
     included in the dictionary.

Since I anticipate a large number of responses, I will generally have
to reply only with a formal acknowledgement, but rest assured that all
suggestions will be taken seriously.

You can e-mail me at least any time before the summer of 1999, since
I'm unlikely to get down to serious work before then.  Right now I'm
just trying to get my file ready for work.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Larry Trask
COGS
University of Sussex