9.1083, Qs: Textbooks, Adjectival noun-form, Tap and trill

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Jul 30 14:17:16 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1083. Thu Jul 30 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1083, Qs: Textbooks, Adjectival noun-form, Tap and trill

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 29 Jul 1998 14:23:29 +0200
From:  Wissenschaftliche [** iso-8859-1 charset **] Hilfskr\228fte/Wode       <hiwis-wode at anglistik.uni-kiel.de>
Subject:  Introducory Textbooks Phonetics/Phonology

2)
Date:  Wed, 29 Jul 1998 17:37:15 +0200
From:  Waruno Mahdi <mahdi at FHI-Berlin.MPG.DE>
Subject:  reference on "adjectival" noun-form

3)
Date:  Thu, 30 Jul 1998 12:01:30 +0200
From:  Francisco Dubert [** iso-8859-1 charset **] Garc\237a <fgdubert at usc.es>
Subject:  tap and trill

Date:  Wed, 29 Jul 1998 14:23:29 +0200
From:  Wissenschaftliche [** iso-8859-1 charset **] Hilfskr\228fte/Wode       <hiwis-wode at anglistik.uni-kiel.de>

Hello!

In the English Department of Kiel University we have been using Peter
Ladefoged's book 'A Course in Phonetics' in nearly all our introductory
courses to phonetics and phonology so far. However, apart from becoming a
little old, the drawback of this book is that it focuses mainly on
practical work.

Now, what we need is a good introductory textbook to phonetics and
phonology which finds a balance between theory and practical work and which
should not be older than, say, four years (if possible). Apart from all
that, it would be good if it also included a chapter or so about speech
perception.

Does anyone know about such a book and where we can get it ?!? I would be
extremely grateful for your help.

Comments about the books would also help a great deal, e.g. what is your
personal experience whith the book you propose etc...

I will compile a list of the book titles I received and post it.

Thank you in advance,
Sebastian Dammann

"Colorless green ideas sleep furiously...!"
-  N. Chomsky