9.849, Disc: Recent Change in English

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jun 8 23:45:33 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-849. Tue Jun 9 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.849, Disc: Recent Change in English

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:           Mon, 8 Jun 1998 11:21:42 +0000
From:  jcuesta at cica.es
Subject:        Re: 9.702, Disc: Recent changes in English

2)
Date:  Mon, 08 Jun 1998 15:32:50 +0100
From:  Sian Etherington <sian at sjh.bi.umist.ac.uk>
Subject:  recent changes in English

3)
Date:  Mon, 8 Jun 1998 11:56:58 -0700
From:  Anthea Fallen-Bailey <afallenb at wvi.com>
Subject:  Changes in English...

Date:           Mon, 8 Jun 1998 11:21:42 +0000
From:  jcuesta at cica.es

I was wondering whether the fact that the ending -ly is not
historically an adverbial ending has something to do with the
preference that speakers have always had (throughout the history of
English) for the use of adverbial forms without an ending: I work
hard. What about "it looks good", even if the adverb is from a
different root (well)? I'd like to hear something more about this
matter.

Julia Fernandez Cuesta
University of Seville
Spain