9.872, Disc: Recent Change in English

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Jun 13 16:14:50 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-872. Sat Jun 13 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.872, Disc: Recent Change in English

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 10 Jun 1998 12:07 -0500 (EST)
From:  Dick_Watson at sil.org
Subject:  Re: 9.845, Disc: Recent Change in English

2)
Date:  Thu, 11 Jun 1998 12:26:09 -0500
From:  Christiane Bongartz <bongartz at facstaff.wisc.edu>
Subject:  Disc: Recent Change in English/Stress in English Noun   Combination

3)
Date:  Thu, 11 Jun 1998 19:22:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:  bwald at HUMnet.UCLA.EDU (bwald)
Subject:  Re: 9.849, Disc: Recent Change in English: Borrowing proper names

Date:  Wed, 10 Jun 1998 12:07 -0500 (EST)
From:  Dick_Watson at sil.org

I believe the matter of translated names is both interesting and
important and am happy to see the trend away from them.  On the one
hand, it can be very normal to translate names into our own languages,
just as we need to translate the rest of the information.  However, it
can also be, or at least be taken as, an indication of our
ethnocentrism or imperialism.  I am thinking especially of the names
people groups call themselves, and their place names.

Some years ago I had a warm discussion with a British colleage who
took the strong position that we should stick to the forms of names
found in the literature and ignore people's own names or spellings of
them, or at most include them in parentheses.  I felt that this was a
reflection on Britain's imperial tradition of anglicizing everything
(which is often not true of French loans), and I argued that we should
do whatever we could to popularize the people's own names, especially
as the names given by outsiders were often derogatory.  I have been
encouraged in the last couple of years to see this same colleague
giving priority to people's own names, and I'm sure it was not a
result of anything I said.

Then, just last week, I read a lengthy newspaper article by a southern
Sudanese decrying the loss of cultural identity caused by the
imperialism of the British and Arabs who either renamed people and
places with their own names or corrupted the spelling and
pronunciation of the local names.  He also referred to discussion
going on amongst some southerners as to what they should name their
new state when it comes into being and, eventually, the need for
returning to original names for peoples and their places, since those
names are the names of their history, culture, songs, stories and
identities.

  Dick