9.910, Qs: Clauses, Spelling-Checker, Taiwan Mandarin

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Jun 19 20:05:42 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-910. Fri Jun 19 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.910, Qs: Clauses, Spelling-Checker, Taiwan Mandarin

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 29 May 1998 21:14:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:  Emily Bender <bender at csli.stanford.edu>
Subject:  Clauses introduced by "as if" and "like"

2)
Date:  Wed, 17 Jun 1998 00:20:08 +0200
From:  "Radu Daniliuc [shared]" <srdan at assist.cccis.ro>
Subject:  FRENCH SPELLING-CHECKER

3)
Date:  Wed, 17 Jun 1998 14:41:24 +0100 (BST)
From:  Paul Woods <P.Woods at dcs.shef.ac.uk>
Subject:  Taiwan Mandarin

Date:  Fri, 29 May 1998 21:14:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:  Emily Bender <bender at csli.stanford.edu>

We are investigating clauses introduced by "as if", "as though", and
"like", which appear to have a life either as modifiers or as
complements, as illustrated in the following examples:

a. Sara looks as if/as though/like she's ready to go.
b. Sara speaks as if/as though/like she's ready to go.
c. Sara is picking up her coat, as if/as though/like she is ready to
	go.

In searching standard grammars of English, we have not yet found any
characterizations of these clauses as complements like those in (a),
either in modern English or in accounts of the development of the
language.  We would be grateful for pointers to any previous work on
these constructions.

                        Emily Bender    bender at csli.stanford.edu
                        Dan Flickinger  dan at csli.stanford.edu