9.921, Disc: Schwa in Romance

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Jun 20 16:19:56 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-921. Sat Jun 20 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.921, Disc: Schwa in Romance

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 19 Jun 1998 20:41:22 -0400
From:  Robert Orr <roborr at uottawa.ca>
Subject:  Re: 9.899, Disc: Schwa in Romance

2)
Date:  Fri, 19 Jun 1998 16:52:59 +0100
From:  Geoffrey Sampson <geoffs at cogs.susx.ac.uk>

Date:  Fri, 19 Jun 1998 20:41:22 -0400
From:  Robert Orr <roborr at uottawa.ca>

>LANGUAGES/DIALECTS HAVING A STRESSED SCHWA IN
>THEIR VOWEL INVENTORY
>
>(a) I am interested in knowing about languages where
>schwa [i.e., a (mid) central vowel] appears
>more or less systematically in stressed position.

Bulgarian

>(b) A second question deals with the origin of stressed schwa
>vis-a-vis the origin of unstressed schwa.  In order to account for
>the presence of stressed schwa in Old Catalan and Old Provencal, some
>scholars have argued that it may have originated through assimilation
>to unstressed schwa.  This argument is consistent with the
>observation that many languages allow schwa to appear in unstressed
>position but do not so in a stressed syllable (which is in accordance
>with unstressed vowels undergoing vowel reduction quite naturally).

Modern Bulgarian has both stressed and unstressed schwa from at least
two sources:

1) The Common Slavic back nasal (rounded, with a possible tendency to
diphthongise)

2) The Common Slavic back jer (originally a short high back unrounded
vowel, which could also bear stress, similar to Tamil forms such as
aatu, etc.  (please excuse the lack of diacritics) in strong position.

Both can bear the stress.

>(c)
>What about Bulgarian where stressed schwa is also found?.

See above

In Russian certain vowels in absolute final position are more resistant to
reduction than others, although the situation is complex.