9.932, Qs: Measure phrases, Lunar months, Online speech

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jun 23 13:33:33 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-932. Tue Jun 23 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.932, Qs: Measure phrases, Lunar months, Online speech

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Elaine Halleck <elaine at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 20 Jun 1998 18:07:40 +0000
From:  Lynne Murphy <M_Lynne_Murphy at baylor.edu>
Subject:  Measure phrases

2)
Date:  Sun, 21 Jun 1998 17:37:55 -0700
From:  Djehuti Sundaka <AHUGULEY at ix.netcom.com>
Subject:  Names of Lunar Months

3)
Date:  Tue, 23 Jun 1998 13:43:47 +0800
From:  Gene Adam <tanami at altavista.net>
Subject:  online speech samples

Date:  Sat, 20 Jun 1998 18:07:40 +0000
From:  Lynne Murphy <M_Lynne_Murphy at baylor.edu>

i'm thinking about measurement in english, and about how some units of
measure have postposed modifiers like:

	(a) 40 degrees _fahrenheit/celsius/kelvin_
 (b) 40 pounds _sterling_

these seem a bit different from the adjectives that can go after other
units of measure:

	(c) 40 inches _long_
	(d) 40 minutes _early_

they are semantically/syntactically different in that "fahrenheit",
"sterling", etc. are not gradable (*the pounds are very sterling) and
they comment upon the measure unit (pounds), rather than the whole
measure phrase (40 pounds)--so that (a)-(b) seem like NPs with a
postnominal adjective, while (c)-(d) seem like (and are usually
treated as) AdjPs with an NP as specifier.

my queries are the following:

1.	are there other examples of the degrees-X and pounds-sterling type?

2. are similar examples of (unusually) postnominal measure-unit
modifiers (a-b) found in other germanic languages?

3.	is there a historical explanation for degrees-X or pounds-sterling?
e.g., are these calques from a language (such as french) in which
adjectives are usually postnominal?  (looking at the OED, centigrade
and sterling do seem to have come from french.  in the latest (1823)
example of fahrenheit in the OED1, the example is "23 degrees of
fahrenheit", so perhaps the postnominal adjective use only came about
on analogy with the french postnominal use of 'centigrade'.  any
critique of this reasoning or other insights would be greatly
appreciated.)

4. are examples of the (a)-(b) type prosodically different than the
(c)-(d) ones?  (i ask this because i have really bad intuitions on the
matter.  if anyone can give me an objective, but informal, way of
describing any difference, i'd be very grateful.)

i look forward to your responses.
lynne murphy

-

M. Lynne Murphy