9.958, Books: UCI Dissertations in Linguistics

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Jun 26 18:44:12 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-958. Fri Jun 26 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.958, Books: UCI Dissertations in Linguistics

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Links to the websites of all LINGUIST's supporting publishers are
available at the end of this issue.

Date:  Sat, 20 Jun 1998 09:15:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:  Irvine Linguistics Students Association <ilsa at orion.oac.uci.edu>
Subject:  NEW UCI Dissertations in Linguistics

Date:  Sat, 20 Jun 1998 09:15:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:  Irvine Linguistics Students Association <ilsa at orion.oac.uci.edu>

Irvine Linguistics Students Association is pleased to announce the
publication of the following two UCI Dissertations in Linguistics.

		Feature Attraction and Category Movement

			   Brian K. Agbayani
		 University of California, Irvine, 1998

	This dissertation presents a new theory of movement in generative
grammar within the framework of the Minimalist Program (Chomsky 1993,
1994, 1995). The most important aspect of the new theory is that it
departs from the standard view of Move a as a unitary operation.
	The dissertation has three main goals.  The first goal is to
simplify the theory of feature checking in such a way that a single
structural configuration (namely, the head-adjunction structure) holds for
feature checking in both overt and covert syntax.  The second goal is to
present evidence for the Split Movement Hypothesis, according to which a
set of formal features and its associated category move to separate
structural positions in syntax.  The claim is that UG makes both Attract
and Move available in the form of Attract F and category movement,
respectively. The former satisfies the formal requirement of feature
checking, and the latter yields the phonological "displacement" effect of
overt movement. The theory thus abandons the treatment of Move a as a
unitary operation. The third goal is to explore consequences for the
proper characterization of locality in syntax. The Split Movement approach
opens up a novel way to account for the traditional Subjacency and
Condition on Extraction Domain effects (Huang 1982a) that do not fall
under Chomsky's (1995) Attract F theory.  It is argued that Attract F and
category movement are subject to different types of economy conditions,
and that the traditional Subjacency and Condition on Extraction Domain
effects should not be given a unified account, contrary to the Barriers
approach (Chomsky 1986a).  The theory also derives a number of previously
mysterious properties related to cross linguistic variation in
extractability out of islands, the relative strength of island effects,
and the nature of successive-cyclic movement.
	This dissertation presents a new approach to movement in syntax
which overcomes the conceptual and empirical shortcomings of the
traditional approach, while gaining new insights into previously
mysterious phenomena and properties of natural languages.

                    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

		   Parametrization of Features in Syntax

			       Sze-Wing Tang
		   University of California, Irvine, 1998

	The major focus of this study is to propose a restrictive theory
of parameters of Universal Grammar in terms of the
principles-and-parameters approach. I propose that semantic features are
invariant across languages;  only features that may play a role in the
derivation from N to the PF interface level including phonetic features,
categorial features, and affix features are subject to parametric
variation, which is called the 'Overt Parametrization Hypothesis' (OPH).
	It is argued that where affix features are associated with a word
is subject to parametric variation. Movement is largely determined by
morphology: movement in the overt component can be signaled by
'impoverished' morphology; movement of morphologically 'rich' elements
takes place in the phonological component. Under this approach, a variety
of syntactic differences among Chinese (Cantonese and Mandarin), English,
French, Japanese, Navajo, and Hebrew can be accounted for.
	Based on the idea of parametrization of affix features, I claim
that T has an affix feature [-V] in English. Such an affix feature is
missing in Chinese. Consequently, there is no V-to-T movement in Chinese
and V moves out of vP in English. A number of apparently disparate
differences between these two languages, including postverbal no-phrases,
the distribution of focus elements, binominal each, the 'SOV' focalization
construction, scopal ambiguity of quantifiers, definiteness of preverbal
numeral phrases, gapping, and heavy NP shift, receive a unified
explanation.
	The data presented as evidence for the claim that categorial
features are subject to parametric variation are primarily based on small
clauses in Chinese, English, and Japanese. It is argued that Chinese small
clauses are bare, English small clauses are 'not-so-bare', and Japanese
allows both types of small clauses. The major typological differences
among these languages regarding the structure of small clauses are derived
from a parameter related to the combination of categorial features of
nouns and adjectives. The findings lend support to the OPH.

                    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Also available:
> UCI Dissertations in Linguistics

Griffith, Teresa A.     1996 Projecting Transitivity and Agreement
Ikawa, Hajime           1996 Overt Movement as a Reflex of Morphology
Ishii, Toru		1997 An Asymmetry in the Composition of Phrase
			     Structure and its Consequences
Li, Xiaoguang		1997 Deriving Distributivity in Mandarin Chinese
Takano, Yuji            1996 Movement and Parametric Variation in Syntax
Zoerner, Cyril Edward   1995 Coordination: The Syntax of &P

US$14 each, plus shipping and handling

> UCI Working Papers in Linguistics, Volume 3 (1997). Edited by Luther
> Chen-Sheng Liu and Kazue Takeda

Articles appearing in the third volume are:
Brian Agbayani: Category Raising, Adjunction, and Minimality
Lisa Lai-Shen Cheng: "Partial" Wh-Movement
Naoki Fukui: Attract and the A-over-A Principle
Toru Ishii: The " Crossing" Constraint and the Minimal Link Condition
Luther Chen-Sheng Liu: Light Verb and Accusative-ing Gerund in Taiwanese
Yuji Takano: Scrambling and Partial Object Shift
Kazue Takeda: A Note on Locality of Category Movement and Feature Movement
Sze-Wing Tang: The Parametric Approach to the Resultative Construction in
        Chinese and English
Miyoko Yashui: Identification of Ellipses and Other Empty Categories

US$14 , plus shipping and handling

> UCI Working Papers in Linguistics, Volume 2: Proceedings of the South
> Western Optimality Theory Workshop (SWOT II). Edited by Brian Agbayani
> and Naomi Harada

US $12, plus shipping and handling

> UCI Working Papers in Linguistics, Volume 1. Edited by Brian Agbayani,
> Kazue Takeda and Sze-Wing Tang

US$12, plus shipping and handling

Shipping and handling (per item)
Domestic: $4; Canada: $6; Mexico: $7 (airmail), $5 (surface);
Elsewhere: $12 (airmail), $7 (surface)

* International shipping and handling rates are subject to the numbers of
items ordered and location.  Please contact <ilsa at orion.oac.uci.edu> in
ordering more than one item from abroad.

PREPAYMENT REQUIRED. Please make checks or money orders payable to
'ILSA-ASUCI'. We cannot accept credit card payment. Payment must be in US
funds, drawn on a US bank. Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery. Send order
form and payment to:

Irvine Linguistics Students Association,
School of Social Sciences,
University of California, Irvine,
Irvine, CA 92697, U.S.A.

Please address inquires to ilsa at orion.oac.uci.edu

Order Form

Customer information
Name:
Street Address:
City, Province/State:
Country, Zip Code:
Telephone Number:
E-mail:

Item            Quantity        Price per item  Total
UCIWPL-2                        $12             $
UCIWPL-1                        $12             $
UCIWPL-3                        $14             $
Agbayani			$14		$
Griffith                        $14             $
Ikawa                           $14             $
Ishii                           $14             $
Li                              $14             $
Takano                          $14             $
Tang				$14		$
Zoerner                         $14             $
                                Shipping:       $
                                Total:          $

For more information about UCI Working Papers in Linguistics and UCI
Dissertations in Linguistics, please contact <ilsa at orion.oac.uci.edu> or
see ILSA's homepage <http://www.socsci.uci.edu/ling/ilsa/ilsahp.html>.
Tables of contents of UCIWPL and abstracts of UCIDL are available in
ILSA's homepage.
Irvine Linguistics Students Association (ILSA)
School of Social Sciences
University of California, Irvine
Irvine, CA 92697-5100, U.S.A.
ilsa at orion.oac.uci.edu
http://www.socsci.uci.edu/ling/ilsa/ilsahp.html

            Publisher's backlists

The following contributing LINGUIST publishers have made their
backlists available on the World Wide Web:

1998 Contributors:

Major Supporters:

Addison Wesley Longman
	http://www.awl-he.com/linguistics/
Blackwell Publishers
	http://www.blackwellpublishers.co.uk/
Cambridge University Press
	http://www.cup.cam.ac.uk/
Edinburgh University Press
	http://www.eup.ed.ac.uk/
Garland Publishing
	http://www.garlandpub.com/
Holland Academic Graphics (HAG)
	http://www.hag.nl
John Benjamins Publishing Company
	http://www.benjamins.com/
	http://www.benjamins.nl/
Lawrence Erlbaum Assoc.
	http://www.erlbaum.com/inform.htm
MIT Press (Books Division)
Mouton de Gruyter
	http://www.deGruyter.de/hling.html
Oxford University Press
	http://www.oup.co.uk/
Routledge
	http://www.routledge.com/
Summer Institute of Linguistics
	http://www.sil.org/

Other Supporting Publishers:

Cascadilla Press:
        http://www.cascadilla.com/
CSLI Publications:
	http://csli-www.stanford.edu/publications/
Francais Practique
	http://www.pratique.fr/
Lodz University, Department of English Language
Utrech Institute of Linguistics