9.307, Qs: "Why?", Bamun/Bamileke, Negotiations

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Mar 2 13:05:24 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-307. Mon Mar 2 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.307, Qs: "Why?", Bamun/Bamileke, Negotiations

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 28 Feb 1998 01:48:18 -0600
From:  "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant at mail.utexas.edu>
Subject:  Child's "Why?"

2)
Date:  Sun, 1 Mar 1998 22:04:17 -0600 (CST)
From:  Seok-Chae Rhee <s-rhee at cogsci.uiuc.edu>
Subject:  Bamun, Bamileke

3)
Date:  Fri, 27 Feb 1998 17:41:39 +0100
From:  "Mike FOX-ecki" <mlisecki at friko2.onet.pl>
Subject:  negotiations [yes/no survey]

Date:  Sat, 28 Feb 1998 01:48:18 -0600
From:  "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant at mail.utexas.edu>

I refer to the familiar phenomenon of a young child going through a
phase of responding to virtually every utterance with "Why?".  I have
always assumed that this was merely the conjunction of expanding
curiosity and the newly discovered power of maintaining attention by
keeping the conversation going.

But I wonder if it doesn't have a specifically linguistic function as
well?  Asking "Why?" makes it possible to elicit several sequential
utterances addressing a fairly well circumscribed topic, and
explanations may [I speculate] require sentences somewhat more complex
that those the child is accustomed to in direct address.  So my question
is: Does a child's progress in understanding and producing complex
sentences and/or complex discourse structures show any marked
acceleration that can be specifically associated with the why-asking
period?

And of course -- to what extent is this phenomenon cross-cultural?

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas