9.310, Disc: NLP and Syntax

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 3 10:30:44 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-310. Tue Mar 3 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.310, Disc: NLP and Syntax

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>

Date:   Tue, 24 Feb 1998 09:09:34 -1000
From:  "Philip A. Bralich, Ph.D." <bralich at hawaii.edu>
Subject:  NLP and EAGLES

2)
Date:  Mon, 02 Mar 1998 12:13:26 +0000
From:  Sam Salt <D.W.Salt at derby.ac.uk>
Subject:  Re: 9.305, Disc: NLP and Syntax

3)
Date:  Mon, 2 Mar 1998 10:42:32 -0500 (EST)
From:  "Samuel L. Bayer" <sam at linus.mitre.org>
Subject:  NLP and Syntax

Date:   Tue, 24 Feb 1998 09:09:34 -1000
From:  "Philip A. Bralich, Ph.D." <bralich at hawaii.edu>

At 03:10 AM 2/23/98 -1000, jock at ccl.umist.ac.uk wrote:
>Although mindful of the risk of exposing us all to Saint Anthony's
>Fire, I wish to respond to the criticism of the EAGLES initiative
>made by Dr Bralich. I do so in my function as co-Chief Editor of
>EAGLES.
>
>There is a simple reason why EAGLES does not mention the criteria
>espoused by Dr Bralich: EAGLES has not so far concerned itself
>with proposing standards in the area of parsers.
>
>That is the short answer, interested readers please read on.
>
>It is unfair to criticise us for not doing something we had not
>included in our (public) programme of work. One may criticise the
>initial selection of topics, however. The topics retained were
>those where there was wide agreement that some kind of useful
>consensus could be obtained in the near term. The set of topics
>we actually worked on were furthermore constrained by factors
>such as availability of voluntary labour.

Point taken.  I agree and apologize.  I will refrain from further
commentary on this matter, and if EAGLES does want to propose
standards for the area of parsers, I would be happy to volunteer
time and effort.  (CV available upon request).

Phil Bralich

Philip A. Bralich, Ph.D.
President and CEO
Ergo Linguistic Technologies