9.329, Sum: (Un)certainty

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Mar 5 16:31:40 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-329. Thu Mar 5 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.329, Sum: y

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Elaine Halleck <elaine at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 5 Mar 1998 10:46:51 CET
From:  Henny Klein <E.H.Klein at farm.rug.nl>
Subject:  Summary: (Un)certainty

Date:  Thu, 5 Mar 1998 10:46:51 CET
From:  Henny Klein <E.H.Klein at farm.rug.nl>

SUMMARY:  (UN)CERTAINTY

THE QUESTION:
We work at a project of  information retrieval in the medical field.
Right now, we (try to) develop methods to indicate how CERTAIN the
writers of scientific texts are about phenomena they discuss, such as
the fysiological or clinical effect of a medicine. In a first
screening of texts we have found all sorts of lexical clues that may
be used to assess this certainty, like adverbs of degree, modal verbs
(MAY, MUST), certain other groups of verbs (DOUBT, SUGGEST, CONCLUDE),
and modification operators (ALTHOUGH, ESPECIALLY). Of course we are
not the first interested in how people express the certainty of their
statements,  and how such expressions can be scaled, so we want to
search the literature. The fields of linguistics that may be of
interest to us seem manyfold (lexical semantics, discourse analysis,
information retrieval?), so we feel it is difficult to start and easy
to miss important information. I should appreciate it very much if you
could help us with suggestions of books and papers that deal with the
linguistic means to convey (un)certainty about facts and ideas.

THE ANSWERS:
LINGUIST was a GREAT HELP, I got many references and reading those
found others again, so I definitely feel ground under my feet (but of
course more suggestions are welcome). I am very grateful to the
respondents:
 Prof. R.M. Chandler-Burns
 James A. Danowski
 Sarah Davies
 David Houghton
 Henk Pander Maat
 Michael Perkins
 Linda Stump Rashidi
 Gisela Redeker
 Susan Scott
 Andreas Schramm
 Fiona Tweedie
 Paul X
Expressions of (un)certainty are on the one hand discussed as
epistemic modality, and on the other hand linked to pragmatic
functions such as hedging and face-saving. The references include
studies on modality in general as well as studies about scientific
(and even especially medical) discourse. Some references I got more
than once, so I made one list of them, including books/papers I found
myself. Comments as given are added, sometimes I provide a short
summary.  The references are alfabetically, with exception of some
related by comments. Jim Danowski send me a long list of references to
`language intensity',  since this seems a separate - though certainly
related - subject these are attached at the end of the list below.

REFERENCES:

Adams-Smith, D.E. (1984). Medical Discourse: Aspects of Author's
Comment. The ESP Journal 3 (1984) 25-36. The occurrence of
subjective statements in medical texts: differences between
categories of articles (clinical case notes, research papers and
editorials), differences between sections (methods/results/reports
versus discussion/comment)

Biber, D., & Finegan, E.  (1988). Adverbial stance types in English.
Discourse Processes, 11,1-34.
 (Stance: the lexical and grammatical expression of  attitudes,
 feelings, judgments or commitments concerning the propositional
 content of a message HK)
One thing the 1988 article notes is that people, especially when put
on the spot, tend to use certainty adverbs "in marked contrast to the
actual certainty of their discourse" (p. 115).  This seems to be the
case as well in my dissertation data (Suzanne Scott) , which looks at
the language of disagreement (although I did not empirically examine
the certainty adverbs; this is an impressionistic comment).

Biber has a chapter on the grammatical coding of stance that was in
preparation last spring, due out from Longman in (this may have been
only a working title) I don't know, however, when that is due out:
Biber, Johansson, Leech, Finegan, & Conrad (?) The Longman grammar of
spoken and written English

Biber, D., & Finegan, E. (1989). Styles of stance types in English:
Lexical and grammatical marking of evidentiality and affect. Text,
9(1), 93-124.
12 types of `stance markers' based on semantic and grammatical
 criteria are discerned. By means  	of a cluster analysis 6 stance
 styles are identified.

Christopher Butler (1990) `Qualifications in science: modal meanings
in scientific text' In: The Writing Scholar, Walter Nash, Sage,
137-170 Types of use of modal auxilliaries and their collocation with
main verbs, distribution of modals in various text sections.

Chafe, W. (1986). Evidentiality in English conversation and academic
writing.  In W. Chafe and J. Nichols (Eds.), Evidentiality: The
linguistic coding of epistemology (pp. 261-272).  Norwood, NJ: ABLEX.

Systemic functional linguists have been working and publishing in the
area of modality/certainty for quite some time.  The basic reference
here is MAK Halliday's Introduction to Functional Grammar, but a
fairly extensive bib of SF works can be accessed on SF website:
http://minerva.ling.mq.edu.au/Resources/Network/Network.html Halliday,
 MAK (1985) An In troduction to Functional Grammar. Edward Arnold.

Hoye, L. (1997) Adverbs and Modality in English. Longman.
 Collocations of modal auxilliaries and modal adverbs in epistemic and
 non-epistemic modality.

Hyland, K. (1996) `Writing without conviction? Hedging in science
research articles.' Applied Linguistics, 1996, 17 (4) 433-454
 A classification of different pragmatic functions of  hedging  based
 on a contextual analysis.

Markkanen R. and H. Schroeder (1997). Hedging and Discourse:
Approaches to the Analysis of a Pragmatic Phenomenon in Academic
Texts. Hedging strategies in academic discourse; interactive aspects
of hedging;cross-cultural aspects of hedging; hedging: the concept,
its origins and a bibliographic guide.

Myers, G.(1989) `The Pragmatics of Politeness in Scientific Articles.'
Applied Linguistics 10 (1), 1-35 Politeness strategies in claims and
denial of claims, with devices such as use of pronouns, passives, use
of adverbs.

Mosteller and Youtz (1990) Quantifying Probabilistic Expressions.
Statistical Science 5, 2--12 (comments 12-34)

Palmer, F.R. (1986) Mood and Modality. Cambridge, C.U.P.

Perkins, M. R. (1983) 'Modal Expressions in English' London: Pinter
 In my book I proposed a far ranging typology for the kinds of
 expressions you mention. The notion of scales of
 tentativeness/uncertainty etc is elaborated in:
Perkins, M. R. (1988) Modality and explicitness. In C. Fuchs (Ed)