9.342, Disc: NLP and Syntax

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Mar 7 17:34:18 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-342. Sat Mar 7 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.342, Disc: NLP and Syntax

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:   Tue, 3 Mar 1998 11:15:11 -1000
From:  "Philip A. Bralich, Ph.D." <bralich at hawaii.edu>
Subject:  Re: 9.310, Disc: NLP and Syntax

2)
Date:   Thu, 5 Mar 1998 09:57:36 -1000
From:  "Philip A. Bralich, Ph.D." <bralich at hawaii.edu>
Subject:  Re: 9.328, Disc: Natural Language Processing and Syntax

Date:   Tue, 3 Mar 1998 11:15:11 -1000
From:  "Philip A. Bralich, Ph.D." <bralich at hawaii.edu>

Sam Bayer wrote,

>Relative to the Derek Bickerton/Philip Bralich parser adequacy
>criteria: the field of computational linguistics has spent quite a
>number of years developing evaluation criteria for parsers, which I
>recommend looking at before you start reinventing the wheel. See the
>journal Computational Linguistics for the last five or six years or
>so, or for a summary, you can read the chapter that my coworkers and
>I wrote on comparing the theoretical and corpus-based computational
>enterprises, in a book edited by John Lawler called Computers and
>Linguistics, due out in April.

Yet his organization as well as all others have yet to be able to
create a BracketDoctor--a device that generates trees and labeled
brackets in the accepted style for this industry, the style of the
Penn Treebank II guidelines, or a MemoMaster, a device that increases
by many thousands the number of commands that are possible for a
speech rec navigation and control system.  In addition, the standards
that I propose are largely based on functionality that most people
have assumed that parsers and theories of syntax had handled years
ago.  The standards I have proposed are meant to demonstrate that
there is a serious problem in the field; that is, very basic levels of
functionality (see below) that many believed had already been
achieved, simply have not been reached.  Standards proposed by MUC,
Computational Linguistics and so on do not address the fact that they
are not requiring their members to meet those very basic standards.
Rather there is an end-run around that expectation that takes one to a
world of non-existent parsers that are meeting standards that are "out
there somewhere" among five or six years of publications (no dates or
page numbers), and an unpublished book.  How can standards of any sort
be of value if the ones I have proposed (reprinted below) have not yet
been met.  These basic levels of functionality should be met long
before anyone attempts comparisons or evaluations of different
systems.  If you just look at them you will see they make a good
qualifying round from which to begin the discussion of "mature
parsers" and "mature theories of syntax."

Before reading the standards I propose below, please note that there
is no list of standards given in Mr. Bayer's letter, just a reference
to standards that have supposedly been dispersed "somewhere"
throughout five or six years of this publication or in a yet to be
published book.  There is also no reference to working parsers that
could meet any standards therein proposed and certainly no discussion
of parsers that could actually meet the standards I have proposed.
Instead of paging through those many periodicals, ask yourself one
question. "Why isn't there a single reference to a list of standards
in this field or from this journal such as proposed below?"  The
answer I think is that there is a painful awareness on the part of the
computational linguistics community of their lack of success after 35
years in which millions of dollars and hundreds maybe thousands of man
years have been invested.  Cerainly, there is not the pride that I
feel in asserting in black and white in a list appended to this
message exactly what is possible in this field, and the value it will
have not only for my company but for creating jobs and projects for
students and linguists in this area for many years to come--not only
in English, but in all the langauges of the world.  It is not wise for
the field overall to shun the one parser that shows any promise at all
of making good on 35 years of empty promises.  All that does is
guarantee that in the long run the jobs, the projects, the profits,
and so on will all belong to Ergo.  I would like to see this company
contiue to profit in this field certainly, but I will feel guilty if
the entire field of computational linguistics tosses the whole of the
jobs and projects into our laps simply because they were unwilling to
admit they cannot meet the standards we propose.

Let's not pretend that vagueness, obscurity, and assertions of the
self-evident wisdom of certain propositions does anything other than
indicate failure on the speakers part.  Put the evidence in black and
white on a one page sheet and send it to this list, if you want to
gain any credibility at all with the readers. All I am asking is a
list, similar in the size to the one I have proposed based on your
expertise in this field.  Show the readers of this list that there are
indeed standards in the industry and people are actually meeting them,
and that my efforts are truly unnecessary.  However, I doubt that
there will be any such standards posted or any mention of parsers
(other than Ergo's) that are meeting our or others' standards.  I also
doubt anyone expects the slightest eveidence to be forthcoming from
anyone besides Ergo.  Or better still show that there are parsers that
exist that meet and then go beyond the standards I have proposed or
those standards that already exist spread out somewhere over the pages
of five or six years of Computational Linguistics.  Do not insult the
readers intelligence with a pretense to standards that exist somewhere
across six years of that journal or in a yet to be published book (the
web site shows little promise of standards actually existing there).
Just copy them from one of the published reports you are aware of and
print them for all to see along with the names and locations of the
parsers that conform to them.

Phil Bralich
Ergo's tools and downloadable products can be found at:
http://www.ergo-ling.com
The standards described here are on-line at
http://www.vrml.org/WorkingGroups/NLP-ANIM

THE STANDARDS: See LINGUIST 9.305, Message 3