9.347, Qs: Verb/Particle,Russian,Japanese Loans,Ethics

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 10 01:25:29 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-347. Tue Mar 10 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.347, Qs: Verb/Particle,Russian,Japanese Loans,Ethics

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 3 Mar 1998 17:22:58 +0100
From:  andrew at enstimac.fr (Andrew McMichael)
Subject:  How did the Verb + particle construction originate?

2)
Date:  Sat, 7 Mar 1998 22:23:51 EST
From:  NANCYENG <NANCYENG at aol.com>
Subject:  russian vowels

3)
Date:  Sun, 8 Mar 1998 10:07:50 -0000
From:  "Yoshi" <yasahi at essex.ac.uk>
Subject:  Japanese Loan Words

4)
Date:  Sun, 8 Mar 1998 10:26:36
From:  "Joseph P. Stemberger" <stemberg at maroon.tc.umn.edu>
Subject:  request for materials on ethics

Date:  Tue, 3 Mar 1998 17:22:58 +0100
From:  andrew at enstimac.fr (Andrew McMichael)

I have been recently doing some research into the origin of the verb
and particle (adverbial and prepositional) construction in English. I
have pushed back to Old English and found that they are attested there
mainly as pre-verbial particles but with some freedom to swing after
the verb. I am tempted to go further back in time as I believe that
Old Greek also had free particles. Does anybody know more about this
troublesome origin, or have any suggestions to where to look? If I
don't get snowed under by your replies on this very open topic, I will
post a summary.

Many thanks,
Dr Andrew McMichael
Languages