9.368, Disc: NLP and Syntax

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Mar 12 19:00:18 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-368. Thu Mar 12 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.368, Disc: NLP and Syntax

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 09 Mar 1998 14:21:05 +0100
From:  Pius ten Hacken <tenhacken at ubaclu.unibas.ch>
Subject:  Re: 9.342, Disc: NLP and Syntax

2)
Date:  Mon, 9 Mar 1998 23:14:13 -0500 (EST)
From:  "Samuel L. Bayer" <sam at linus.mitre.org>

3)
Date:  Wed, 11 Mar 1998 22:00:20 +0100
From:  pmenzel at club-internet.fr (Peter Menzel)
Subject:  NLP and syntax

Date:  Mon, 09 Mar 1998 14:21:05 +0100
From:  Pius ten Hacken <tenhacken at ubaclu.unibas.ch>

Contrary to what Phil Bralich suggested at various places in this
discussion, silence on certain points he made earlier does not
automatically mean agreement with him or surrender. A bare repetition
of previous arguments (such as "please look closely at those standards
(repeated below)"), however, contributes nothing to the deepening of
the discussion and will annoy the readers. It only shows that people
mutually reject the relevance of each other's arguments.

Having said this, I would like to make one remark on Phil Bralich's
reply in issue 9.342, because I have the impression I can expand and
clarify the point I want to make. Text with ">>" is from my
contribution in issue 9.328.

>>A syntactic theory is part of linguistics as an empirical science.
>>Empirical sciences are concerned with explaining chosen aspects of a
>>domain of observations in the real world. In the case of
>>linguistics, the domain is natural language, but different aspects
>>of language can be chosen as a goal for explanation,
>>e.g. acquisition in Chomskyan linguistics, processing in LFG. The
>>success of a linguistic theory depends on the degree to which an
>>explanatory account is reached. The fact that different linguistic
>>theories take different questions about language as a basis for
>>research implies that in some cases a common ground for evaluation
>>is missing. <...> > >This is quite true, but how can you actually
>>study acquisition or >processing if you have not yet properly
>>isolated or described what is >that is being acquired or processed?
>>You cannot talk about the >acquisition of langauge or the processing
>>of langauge if you are still >not able to properly describe parts of
>>speech, parts of the sentence, >statements, questions, subjects, and
>>so on and the relationships >between them.  You simply have not
>>completed the preliminaries.  I am >not saying that syntax is all of
>>linguistics any more than I am saying >that the isolating the
>>periodic table is the whole of chemistry, but >without the work
>>being substantially completed on those basics neither >field is
>>really ready to begin.  Any theory that attempts to study >these
>>"domains of observation in the real world" must first >demonstrate
>>that it has at least isolated and described these domains >in some
>>tangible sense.  My main argument is that the entire field is
>>>starting off at the wrong end of the stick

I thank Phil Bralich for his acknowledgement that the entire field is
on my side, although I suspect this is a slight exaggeration. Without
exaggeration, however, I can claim that in philosophy of science it is
generally acknowledged that theory-neutral observation and
theory-neutral description are impossible. There are just too many
different things to observe and too many possible ways of describing
them. In order to make a sensible selection, a theory is
necessary. (If you think you do it without a theory, your theory is
just entirely implicit, which is not a recommendation) As a
consequence, the question which aspect of language is to be explained
cannot wait until after the description, because it interacts with the
description. This interaction influences, for instance, the choice of
most urgent data to cover, the criteria for a valid coverage, etc. In
a theory of linguistics the most urgent data to be described need not
be the most frequent ones (i.e. the ones most urgent for a parser),
but they should be the ones that provide arguments for decisions on
how to extend or modify the theory.

Summarizing: Theoretical linguistics and CL have different goals. The
descriptive goal of CL is not a subset of the goal of theoretical
linguistics, although there is a significant overlap. Explanation does
not follow description in theoretical linguistics, but the two develop
in interaction. Therefore,

1. a linguistic theory which does not give a description of all the
phenomena Bralich's parser covers need not be a bad theory;

2. if Bralich's underlying theory is only descriptive it is not as
good _qua linguistic theory_ as the existing ones. (N.B. I do not say
anything about the evaluation of Bralich's parser as a parser)

Pius ten Hacken

Dr. Pius ten Hacken
Institut fuer Informatik/Allgemeine Sprachwissenschaft
Universitaet Basel
Petersgraben 51            ||   Tel. +41-61-267'33'38
CH-4051 Basel              ||   Fax +41-61-267'32'51
Switzerland                ||   email: tenhacken at ubaclu.unibas.ch

web page: http://www.unibas.ch/LIlab/staff/tenhacken