9.382, Qs: If-Then,-mt Words in Eng,Service-Industry Lang

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Mar 14 21:58:28 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-382. Sat Mar 14 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.382, Qs: If-Then,-mt Words in Eng,Service-Industry Lang

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 14 Mar 1998 09:07:08 -0500 (EST)
From:  Vincent DeCaen <decaen at chass.utoronto.ca>
Subject:  If-Then?  Semantics, Crosslinguistics, Biblical Hebrew

2)
Date:  Sat, 14 Mar 1998 03:31:32 -0800 (PST)
From:  alan harris <vcspc005 at email.csun.edu>
Subject:  -mt Words in English

3)
Date:  Sun, 15 Mar 1998 01:03:23 +0900 (JST)
From:  "R. Fouser" <rjfouser at twics.com>
Subject:  Service-Industry Language

Date:  Sat, 14 Mar 1998 09:07:08 -0500 (EST)
From:  Vincent DeCaen <decaen at chass.utoronto.ca>

dear Linguist List members,

why do logical operators come in two pieces in natural languages?
especially, why if-then?

why are the marked terms in such pairs first: either-or, both-and?
further, why do some languages simply say or-or, and-and? is there a
language with then-then?

re: if-then: if "if" is clearly modal, then does "then" also
participate in such modality? and then, why does "and then" not also
so participate? or does it?

further, why does it seem recursion is ok only on the then-side?  ie,
if-then(if-then(if-then)).  why??  ie, why a privileged "head" for
such chains?

any assistance in finding recent literature in this area will be
appreciated. what I really want is a semantic representation of "then"
that can be incorporated in work on tense logic. I feel this would
unlock an analysis of systems with mood-like "consecutive" structures
like Biblical Hebrew. thanks in advance.

Vincent DeCaen	 	 	     <decaen at chass.utoronto.ca>
Faculty of Information Studies, University of Toronto

Hebrew Syntax Encoding Initiative
http://www.chass.utoronto.ca:8080/~decaen/hsei/intro.html
c/o Deparment of Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations
4 Bancroft Ave., 2d floor,  University of Toronto,
Toronto ON,  M5S 1A1