9.388, Qs: Irony, Transcription, Wh-Questions, 'if-then'

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 17 13:38:32 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-388. Tue Mar 17 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.388, Qs: Irony, Transcription, Wh-Questions, 'if-then'

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 16 Mar 1998 11:49:03 +0100 (MET)
From:  Arthur Merin <arthur at IMS.Uni-Stuttgart.DE>
Subject:  Testing for Universality of Irony

2)
Date:  Sun, 15 Mar 1998 17:55:48 -0400
From:  "Juan Antonio Peqa" <jpena1 at rrpac.upr.clu.edu>
Subject:  Computer Program for Transcription

3)
Date:  Tue, 17 Mar 1998 10:46:56 -0500 (EST)
From:  ivy sichel <isichel at email.gc.cuny.edu>
Subject:  Wh-questions

4)
Date:  Sun, 15 Mar 1998 22:51:40 -0800
From:  "palma, adriano p" <adriano.palma at usa.net>
Subject:  'if-then'

Date:  Mon, 16 Mar 1998 11:49:03 +0100 (MET)
From:  Arthur Merin <arthur at IMS.Uni-Stuttgart.DE>

For some time a question, most recently, it appears, posed as
part of a query in the "Guardian" newspaper, has been going
back and forth, unanswered:

  Are there cultures in which there is no institution
  of (verbal) irony?

Anecdotal observations of individual inability to understand
irony, often in inter-linguistic communication, are available.
But no conclusive answer to the question as posed about
trans-idiolectal languages has emerged.

I should be grateful for answers deciding the question and
hope to be able to post results.

Arthur Merin
Institute for Language and Computation (IMS)
University of Stuttgart
Azenbergstr. 12
70174 Stuttgart
Germany