9.394, FYI: Diphthongs, TEFL Teachers Group

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Mar 18 16:43:34 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-394. Wed Mar 18 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.394, FYI: Diphthongs, TEFL Teachers Group

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Elaine Halleck <elaine at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 13 Mar 1998 22:04:25 -0800 (PST)
From:  "Dan I. SLOBIN" <slobin at COGSCI.Berkeley.EDU>
Subject:  Re: 9.355, Qs: Diphthongs,O-E ligature,Contrast rhet.,Software

2)
Date:  Sun, 15 Mar 1998 23:33:47 -0500
From:  <Hickman at vse.cz>
Subject:  An Invitation to join CETEFL

Date:  Fri, 13 Mar 1998 22:04:25 -0800 (PST)
From:  "Dan I. SLOBIN" <slobin at COGSCI.Berkeley.EDU>

 	Re: Contrastive rhetoric in English and Spanish

 The following papers deal with systematic differences in the
 descriptions of motion events in English and Spanish, using data of
 novels, translation, picture-elicited narratives, news reports,
 parent-child talk, and conversations.  Copies are available on
 request.

 Slobin, D. I. (1996). Two ways to travel: Verbs of motion in English and
 Spanish.  In M. Shibatani & S. A. Thompson (Eds.), Grammatical
 constructions: Their form and meaning (pp. 195-217).  Oxford
 University Press.

 Slobin, D. I. (1997). Mind, code, and text.  In
 J. Bybee, J. Haiman, & S.  A. Thompson (Eds.), Essays on language
 function and language type: Dedicated to T. Givon (pp. 437-467).
 John Benjamins.

 Slobin, D. I. (1998). Verbalized events: A dynamic
 approach to linguistic relativity and determinism.  Paper to be
 presented at LAUD Symposium, "Humboldt and Whorf Revisited,"
 Duisburg, April 1-5, 1998.

 -Dan Slobin Dept of Psychology
 University of California, Berkeley