9.397, Disc: State of Comparative Linguistics

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Mar 18 22:59:06 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-397. Wed Mar 18 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.397, Disc: State of Comparative Linguistics

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 15 Mar 1998 08:14:36 -0500
From:  "Peter T. Daniels" <grammatim at worldnet.att.net>
Subject:  Re: 9.381, Disc: State of Comparative Linguistics

2)
Date:  Mon, 16 Mar 1998 17:56:44 -0500 (EST)
From:  manaster at umich.edu

Date:  Sun, 15 Mar 1998 08:14:36 -0500
From:  "Peter T. Daniels" <grammatim at worldnet.att.net>

Alexis Manaster Ramer writes:

> Perhaps it would help to have some concrete examples.  In recent
> discussions in other lists, a prominent linguist who is not an
> expert on African languages cites a recent book by another prominent
> linguist who is not an expert on African languages as claiming that
> one of the widely accepted African language families (Niger-Kordo-
> fanian) is based on nothing more than TYPOLOGICAL parallels.  Now,
> as we all know (and as Castren first taught c. 1830), typology has
> little to do with relationship, and so if this charge were true, the
> case for Niger-Kord. would be hopelessly flawed.  As it happens, the
> charge is not true, there are numerous cognate morphemes (including
> the system of nominal class markers) which form the basis for the
> recognition of Niger-Kord as a family.  Now, I only know this
> because I took the trouble of checking in the compendium Die
> Sprachen Afrikas and in Greenberg's almost half-century-old book on
> the classification of African languages.

I am admittedly no expert in African languages, but I have read much
of the survey volume *The Niger-Congo Languages*, ed. John
Bendor-Samuel (SIL/Univ. Pr. Am., 1989), especially its chapters on
overall classification, and the experts agree that it was a mistake to
elevate the Kordofanian group to siblinghood with all the rest of the
families in the phylum; they assign it a relationship in a more
typical chart of binary branchings that subdivide into the large
number of attested groups, rathern than showing single languages
hiving off from the main body of the phylum.

Lyle Campbell, certainly the most vocal of the anti-lumpers (he has
even claimed credit for inventing the terms "lumper" and "splitter"),
in *American Indian Languages* (Oxford, 1997: 255-57) gathers a
variety of criticism of Greenberg's African classification to support
his criticism of Greenberg's American classification. Notably, Lionel
Bender, a very rigorous comparativist specializing in the Nilo-Saharan
phylum, repeatedly expresses doubts about the unity of this
"catch-all" and continually revises his picture of the whole.

- Peter T. Daniels grammatim at worldnet.att.net