9.401, Qs: Japanese,Dyslexia,Quebec French,Vowels

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Mar 19 00:37:12 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-401. Thu Mar 19 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.401, Qs: Japanese,Dyslexia,Quebec French,Vowels

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 17 Mar 1998 06:34:00 -0500 (EST)
From:  Satoshi Stanley Koike <skoike at email.gc.cuny.edu>
Subject:  Query on teaching teachers of Japanese

2)
Date:  Tue, 17 Mar 1998 13:42:04 -0700 (MST)
From:  Helene Ossipov <ATHXO at ASUVM.INRE.ASU.EDU>
Subject:  Q: Language and dyslexia

3)
Date:  Tue, 17 Mar 98 15:40:20 0100
From:  Anke Meyer <fs6x212 at public.uni-hamburg.de>
Subject:  Search for Corpus in Quebec French

4)
Date:  Tue, 17 Mar 1998 15:51:43 -0500 (EST)
From:  "Eric J. Bakovic" <bakovic at rci.rutgers.edu>
Subject:  Dominant-Recessive Harmony

Date:  Tue, 17 Mar 1998 06:34:00 -0500 (EST)
From:  Satoshi Stanley Koike <skoike at email.gc.cuny.edu>

     This is a query primarily for those of you who are interested in
teaching Japanese as a second language (TJSL) in Japan and teaching
Japanese as a foreign language (TJFL) elsewhere, although I'd also
like to hear from those of you who are interested in language teaching
in general.  Here are my questions:

 (1) How many programs/departments are there in the world that train
(future) teachers of Japanese?  How many programs/departments are
there that are specifically meant to train those who will teach
(future) teachers of Japanese?  Where are the programs/departments?

 (2) What are exactly taught in these programs/departments?  How many
of these programs/departments focus more on the theoretical (as
opposed to "practical") side of teaching Japanese? By the
"theoretical" side, I mean not only the "history," the "principles"
and the "goals" of TJSL/TJFL but also linguistic and/or educational
research in such areas as second language acquisition, classroom
interactions, inter-cultural communication and the impact of new
technologies in language teaching and learning, not to mention
adequate (explanatory or not) descriptions of the target language (L2,
Japanese in our case) as well as learners' native or primary languages
(L1s).

 (3) It appears that at least in the United States and in Japan, short
programs tend to focus on the practical side, teaching what kind of
teaching methods the teacher should use, what kind of classroom
activities should be done, etc., while longer programs, especially
degree programs, deal with a more theoretical side (see [2] above).
Is this a correct generalization?  Is it true in other countries and
with regard to other languages?  Or is the real situation much more
complicated than that?

 (4) Are there any programs/departments where practical problems that
teachers of language teachers and/or coordinators of language programs
must face are seriously addressed?

     I am particularly interested in the case of TJSL/TJFL, but I'd
also like to hear from those of you who know about teaching of other
languages, especially with regard to Question 4.  Please reply
directly to me at skoike at email.gc.cuny.edu.  I would also like to know
about other newsgroups, etc. on the net where I can post this message.
Please feel free to forward this message to whoever might be
interested in the issues raised and/or can answer my questions. Thank
you very much.

					Truly,
					 S. S. Koike