9.432, All: Message from Student Editors

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Mar 21 13:12:07 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-432. Sat Mar 21 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.432, All: Message from Student Editors

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Julie Wilson <julie at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 21 Mar 1998 12:35:56 -0500
From:  linguist at linguistlist.org (The LINGUIST List)
Subject:  Message from Student Editors

Date:  Sat, 21 Mar 1998 12:35:56 -0500
From:  linguist at linguistlist.org (The LINGUIST List)

[Moderators' note: In the current LINGUIST Fund Drive, we are attempting to
collect $12,600 to pay 2 student editors of LINGUIST in 1998-99.  To
date we've collected $5200, through the generosity of the people and
institutions listed at the end of the message.  There you will also find
details about how to make your contribution.]

Dear LINGUIST supporters:

     You are probably already aware that it is through your generous
contributions that we are able to support the staff of graduate
editors who run LINGUIST.  What you may not realize is that your aid
also helps support future linguists in their academic pursuits:
sometimes providing an avenue to higher education for those who may
need one, and for others, scholarship funding for highly motivated
students who are truly deserving.

     Behind the scenes, it is the people of LINGUIST who make the
whole operation work.  An enthusiastic crew puts together LINGUIST
issues, oversees daily operations and maintains the websites that have
become such an important feature of LINGUIST, among them the
linguistic programs directory, the jobs database and the conference
list.  Software is now in place for a registry of dissertation
abstracts, and a new and expanded directory of linguists will be up
and running in the next few weeks.  A search engine will make all of
these resources even more accessible.  So, if you feel your life is
incomplete without the study of Hausa or Hittite, you can search for
programs offering these languages.  And, if you wish to contact the
professors who first got you interested in linguistics, you have a
good chance of finding them on LINGUIST. With 10,000 subscribers, we
are the largest database of linguists in the world.

     With your help, LINGUIST will continue to be a place where people
of varied backgrounds but similar interests can meet and benefit from
the interchange.  It is through your generosity that we are able to
continue the support of our editorial staff.  Former LINGUISTS editors
have gone on to positions in academia and in the computer industry.
Three former editors are now in Phd programs: Sue is at the University
of Southern California, Rajka Smiljanic is at the University of
Illinois at Champaign-Urbana, and Ljuba is in Stockholm.  Many of our
current staff also intend to pursue careers in Linguistics.  And it's
your assistance that makes this a reality.  If you want to see where
your money's going, just click on the individual editors' links when
you visit our home page to see where your money is going.

     We need $12,600 this year just to pay for the stipends of 2
graduate student editors. So far, we're nowhere near reaching that
amount. We urge you to contribute to LINGUIST.  Your contributions are
all that keeps us going.

                         Thank you in advance,

                         A Student Editor

The address for contributions is:

     The EMU LINGUIST Editorial Support Fund
     c/o Dept of English Language & Literature
     Eastern Michigan U.
     Ypsilanti, MI 48197
     USA

You can also donate by credit card on the Web, at the URL:

	http://linguistlist.org/creditcard.html

________________________
1998 Contributors

Supporters:

Mark Balhorn
Michael Bernstein
Ann Bradlow
Mary Bucholtz
Linda Coleman
Franz Dotter
Stanley Dubinsky
James L. Fidelholtz
Reiko Hayashi
Darrell Hatt
Suzanne K. Hilgendorf
Alice Horning
Mary Jane Gaines Hurst
Shin Ja Hwang
Frances Ingemann
Yuriko K. Kite
Louise E. McNally
Rosa Graciela Montes
Barbara Partee
Jeffrey Runner
Patrick C. Ryan
Vieri Samek-Lodovici
James Sneddon
Rodrik Wade
Joerg Wagner

Patrons ($50 or more):

Cascadilla Press
G. Tucker Childs
Bernard Comrie
Karen Davis
Daniel L. Everett
Yehuda & Julia Falk
Pius ten Hacken
Richard Hudson
Carolyn Kirkpatrick
Gerardo Lorenzino
M. Lynne Murphy
Andrea G. Osburne
Marc Authier & Lisa A. Reed
Theo Venneman

Mainstays ($100 or more):

Blackwell Publishers
Cassell
Edinburgh UP
Holland Academic Graphics
Sungshim Hong
Kenji Kashino
Lawrence Erlbaum Associates
Youngsuk Lee
Michael Patrick O'Connor
Oxford UP
Linda Stump Rashidi
Routledge
Monica Macaulay & Joe Salmons
Hiroaki Tanaka
Karl Teeter
Walter de Gruyter
Catherine Walter

Support pledged:

Garland Press
MIT Press--Books Division
Pacific Linguistics
Summer Institute of Linguistics
Syntaxis
Utrecht Institute of Linguistics OTS (UiL OTS)