9.449, Sum: "Crosstalk"

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 24 12:02:24 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-449. Tue Mar 24 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.449, Sum: "Crosstalk"

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 24 Mar 1998 09:29:41 -0500 (EST)
From:  "Laura Christine Hartley" <hartleyl at pilot.msu.edu>
Subject:  Gumperz video

Date:  Tue, 24 Mar 1998 09:29:41 -0500 (EST)
From:  "Laura Christine Hartley" <hartleyl at pilot.msu.edu>

Several weeks ago, I posted a query as to how I might obtain a copy of the
video "Crosstalk" done by Gumperz in the late 70s.  I was able to find the
following reference information off of WorldCat:

DATABASE: WorldCat

Record: 4
ACCESSION: 27234687
    TITLE: Crosstalk at work
    PLACE: [London] :
PUBLISHER: BBC,
     YEAR: 1991
 PUB TYPE: Audiovisual
   FORMAT: 2 videocassettes (48 minutes) : sd., col. ; 1/2 in. + 1
           manual (94 p. ; 28 cm.)
    NOTES: Film techniques, and analytical and training points
           introduced in the videos and manual derived chiefly from (i)
           sociolinguistic research work conducted by John J. Gumperz,
           and (ii) training methods developed in U.K. by the National
           Centre for Industrial Language Training.
           Juliet Alexander.
           Pt. 1. Performance appraisal across cultures -- pt. 2.
           Recruitment interviewing across cultures.
           A BBC training video offering case study extracts of
           interviews as "trigger" material for
           teaching/training analysis and discussion on the theme of
           cross-cultural communication.
           PAL.
           VHS.
  SUBJECT: Intercultural communication.
           Communication.
    OTHER: Twitchin, John.
           British Broadcasting Corporation.

Record: 10
ACCESSION: 12206825
    TITLE: Multiracial Britain, crosstalk
    PLACE: London :
PUBLISHER: British Broadcasting Corporation ; Films Inc.,
     YEAR: 1982
 PUB TYPE: Audiovisual
   FORMAT: 1 videocassette (25 min.) : sd., col. : 1/2 in.
    NOTES: Discusses and illustrates the different ways cultural groups
           use English and the interethnic misunderstandings which can
           result from different language conventions.
  SUBJECT: Intercultural communication.
           English language in Great Britain.
           Race discrimination -- Great Britain.
    OTHER: Crosstalk.

I haven't seen a copy of the first referenced video, but it appears to build on
the original one (whose first publishing date was 1979).

I wasn't able to find out how to obtain a copy of either of these from
the BBC (or if they are even still available for purchase), however, I
did discover that several universities in the US have Audio-Visual
service departments who will rent videos.  Penn State and Indiana
University both have copies of the 1979 version of this video
available for rental. Unfortunately for those of you living outside
the US, they will only send videos within the States.

Hope this information is helpful.

Laura

-
hartleyl at pilot.msu.edu