9.452, Disc: Short Diphthongs

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 24 12:48:30 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-452. Tue Mar 24 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.452, Disc: Short Diphthongs

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 24 Mar 1998 11:51:30 +0100
From:  Waruno Mahdi <mahdi at FHI-Berlin.MPG.DE>
Subject:  Re: 9.355, Disc: Short Diphthongs (addendum)

2)
Date:  Tue, 24 Mar 1998 11:59:15 -0500 (EST)
From:  Paul Johnston <JOHNSTONP at wmich.edu>
Subject:  Re: 9.443, Disc: Short Diphthongs

Date:  Tue, 24 Mar 1998 11:51:30 +0100
From:  Waruno Mahdi <mahdi at FHI-Berlin.MPG.DE>

In my previous input (Re: 9.443) on long/short-contrasted vowel
clusters in Vietnamese (Northern dialect) I unfortunately forgot the
following:

To those resulting from combinations of long/short monophthongs with a
nonsyllabic medial or final:

                  _au_   /Aw/  --  _ao_   /aaw/

To the "two different _ua_" of the spelling, resulting in the
differently pronounced _cua_ /kuuH/ and _qua_ /kwaa/, one should
perhaps indicate another such contrast in the spelling:

                      _cuo^c_  --  _quo^c_

for which one might have expected the readings /kuok/ and /kwok/
respectively. But, if that were true, then this would imply that /k/
is the only initial after which a /wo/ as contrasted with /uo/
occurs. But, native-speaker informants I interviewed on this in the
1970s confirmed that the divergently spelled syllables were
homonyms. To my ears, their pronunciation seemed to freely variate
between /kuok/ and /kwok/, but more often closer to the former than to
the latter. I can't tell whether there is perhaps a contrast in other
dialects.

Regards to all,    Waruno

Waruno Mahdi                  tel:   +49 30 8413-5404
Faradayweg 4-6                fax:   +49 30 8413-3155
14195 Berlin                  email: mahdi at fhi-berlin.mpg.de
Germany                       WWW:   http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/~wm/