9.473, Jobs: Computational Ling, European Langs

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Mar 27 15:02:15 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-473. Fri Mar 27 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.473, Jobs: Computational Ling, European Langs

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 26 Mar 1998 16:02:27 -0800
From:  Deborah Coughlin <deborahc at MICROSOFT.com>
Subject:  Internship: Computational Linguistics (Micorosoft)

2)
Date:  Fri, 27 Mar 1998 22:00:57 +0200
From:  Martin Ehala <ehala at lin2.tpu.ee>
Subject:  European Langs

Date:  Thu, 26 Mar 1998 16:02:27 -0800
From:  Deborah Coughlin <deborahc at MICROSOFT.com>

COMPUTATIONAL LINGUIST INTERNSHIPS

The NLP Group in Microsoft Research is looking for computational
linguist interns for Chinese, French, German, and Japanese.  The
positions will be located on the Microsoft central campus in Redmond,
Washington, USA.  This is a great opportunity to work with a dedicated
group of researchers who are creating a system for unrestricted text
understanding and generation.

RESPONSIBILITIES:

The linguists will work to further the development of the Microsoft
natural language system, NLPWin.  Responsibilities may include
modifying the dictionary, defining morphological rules, or writing
code for the grammar of the language.  Specific responsibilities will
be determined based on the candidate's expertise and the needs of the
language.

QUALIFICATIONS:

Candidates must be pursuing an advanced degree in linguistics (but not
yet have a Ph.D.), and must have native or near-native fluency in the
language being worked on.  Preference will be given to candidates with
previous experience in linguistic research and software development,
or with practical experience with NLP implementation issues.

ABOUT THE MICROSOFT NLP RESEARCH GROUP:

We are in the process of designing and building a system to analyze
unrestricted natural language, taking input text, and moving from
lexical/morphological analysis through syntax, semantics, and
eventually pragmatics and discourse.  A generation component is also
planned.  The programming system and underlying principles that are
used for English have been found to be applicable to other languages.
We are empirically oriented, and are happy to use good linguistic
ideas wherever they can be found.  A reasonable first-version summary
of our techniques and some of our experience can be found in the book
"Natural Language Processing: The PLNLP Approach," Kluwer Academic
Publishers, Boston, 1993.

For more information about the NLP group, connect to our home page on
the World Wide Web.

                   http://research.microsoft.com/nlp
<http://research.microsoft.com/nlp>

CONTACT: Please send resumes, cover letters, and any additional
materials to:

 	Ken Felder
 	Microsoft Corporation
 	One Microsoft Way
 	Redmond, WA  98052
 	USA
 	email: KenFe at Microsoft.com <mailto:KenFe at Microsoft.com>