9.481, Qs: Preverb, Unaccusative, "up", Teaching Ling

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Mar 29 11:58:14 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-481. Sun Mar 29 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.481, Qs: Preverb, Unaccusative, "up", Teaching Ling

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 27 Mar 1998 17:21:23 -0600 (CST)
From:  Edith A Moravcsik <edith at csd.uwm.edu>
Subject:  collective and perfect

2)
Date:  Fri, 27 Mar 1998 17:11:41 -0800 (PST)
From:  bingfu <bingfu at usc.edu>
Subject:  Inventory of unaccusative verbs

3)
Date:  Sat, 28 Mar 1998 18:08:07 +0900
From:  radical <trikfish at chollian.dacom.co.kr>
Subject:  "up"

4)
Date:  Sat, 28 Mar 1998 21:10:35 EST
From:  WOMENinTEC <WOMENinTEC at aol.com>
Subject:  Teaching Linguistics to High School Students

Date:  Fri, 27 Mar 1998 17:21:23 -0600 (CST)
From:  Edith A Moravcsik <edith at csd.uwm.edu>

In languages that have preverbs, is anyone familiar with cases where a
preverb having a COLLECTIVE or ASSOCIATIVE meaning developed a
RESULTATIVE or PERFECTIVE function in the verbal system?

Is anyone familiar with any cases where a preverb having RESULTATIVE or
PERFECTIVE meaning gradually bleached to a general meaning of
+INTENSIFICATION?

I am interested in this because these pathways of development are
sometimes postulated for the historical development of the prefix ga- in
Germanic.  You can respond to me directly at gdavis at csd.uwm.edu
Thanks in advance.

Garry Davis