9.499, Disc: State of Comparative Linguistics

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 31 13:19:37 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-499. Tue Mar 31 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.499, Disc: State of Comparative Linguistics

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 30 Mar 1998 14:17:25 -0600 (CST)
From:  jirsa at ix.netcom.com
Subject:  Re: 9.485, Disc: State of Comparative Linguistics

2)
Date:  Mon, 30 Mar 1998 17:10:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:  MARK HUBEY <hubeyh at alpha.montclair.edu>
Subject:  Re: 9.487, Disc: State of Comparative Linguistics

3)
Date:  Tue, 31 Mar 1998 10:46:00 -0500
From:  "Karl V.(van Duyn) Teeter" <kvt at fas.harvard.edu>
Subject:  State of Comparative Linguistics, 9.467 and 9.487

Date:  Mon, 30 Mar 1998 14:17:25 -0600 (CST)
From:  jirsa at ix.netcom.com

I have some simple observations addressed to the original prompt for
the discussion concerning the state of comparative linguistics.

While I do not wish to push the beleaguerd analogy between language
change and the evolution of biological species, there are some
striking similarities between the methodologies of biologists and
comparative linguists.  What is more striking to me, given these
similarities, is the contrasts between the public reception of the
field of evolutionary biology versus that of historical/comparative
linguistics and how each is perceived even within their larger fields
respectively.  This contrast fundamentally reflects how linguistic
knowledge is accepted and thus the position of the entire discipline
of comaprative linguistics.

My point is this: Despite the fact that linguistics has preceded
biology in several important discoveries, natural historians have been
far more successful in dissemin ating their findings.  This is the
real issue with the state of comparative linguistics as I see it: how
do we improve relations with other disciplines and the world at large?

I don't feel bashful about bragging about our discipline in this
forum, so I'd like first to point out that linguistics, in at least
two places that I know of, has preceded biology in making significant
and virtually identical methodological and theoretical claims .
First, as Roger Lass points out, the idea that phylogeny is the
product of "descent with modification," (Darwin's phrase) has a
predecessor in the work of early Indo-Europeanists.  Thus, Lass
writes, "the idea of 'evolution' or 'mutability of species' was part
of the linguist's conceptual armory long before biologists accepted
it" (Lass.  "Historical Linguistics and Language Change.  1997:109).
The potent irony here is that even Lass uses the analogy of biological
evolution to introduce the concept of linguistic change in his book.
The biologist have greater notoriety and public interest, so quite
naturally it's the best way to open the subject of comparative
linguistics to novices.

The second development in which linguistics preceded biology is
methodological.  There has been a great deal of excitement in the
realm of Natural History over the relatively recent comparative method
called cladistics or phylogenetic systematics.  It has been used to
establish, among other highly celebrated findings, the evolutionary
link between birds and dinosaurs (Padian and Chiappe 1998; Gaffney,
Dingus, and Smith 1995).

Cladistics looks for common features, or "shared derived traits" among
species to infer a common ancestor; the authors of a recent Scientific
American article describe it this way: "two groups of animals sharing
a set of such new, or 'derived', traits are more closely related to
each other than they are to groups that display only the original
traits but not the derived ones.  By identifying the shared derived
traits, practitioners of cladistics can determine the relations among
the organisms they study" (Padain and Chiappe 1998:42 ).  "For
example," write the authors of a column in Natural History, "the group
designated 'dinosaurs' is contained within the larger group
'vertebrates,' because dinosaurs, along with all other vertebrates,
have a backbone.  The backbone is a known shared derived character for
the group called vertebrates.  Each group, or clade, is defined by a
set of such shared derived characters inherited from a common
ancestor" (Gaffney, Dingus, and Smith 1995:33).

I'm certainly not an expert in the natural sciences, but I cannot
differentiate in a broader methodological sense what a practitioner of
cladistics does from what a comparative linguist does.  What I see are
essentially the same methods.  (for a discussion of cladistics in
context of linguistics, see Lass 1997:113-118.)

	The remarkable thing about these similarities to me is that
while biologists have also recognized certain problems with
cladistics (chance similarities, or "convergence" in biology,
hybridization, etc.), as a whole, I have the impression that the field
has generated tremendous general interest with its findings.

Moreover, the entire field of historical linguistic inquiry is largely
absent from public discourse, at least in the sort of way that
evolution occupies public attention. When was the last time you heard
undergraduates passionately disputing the biblical account of Babel
versus African Monogenesis?  In contrast, on any single campus this
very morning there are probably dozens of term papers in progress that
address creation versus evolution.

Granted, Indo-European correspondence tables certainly don't generate
the fervor in eight year olds that a T. rex skeleton can, and
Proto-Nostratic doesn't seem to threaten people's religious faith as
directly as theories of human evolution, but I still must ask why?
Why, for example, don't the recent claims about Amarind or Nostratic
generate the kind of hubbub that recent claims about birds' descent
from theropods do?  Certainly Greenberg and Cavali- Sforza also got
their article in Scientific American, but the larger question for this
discussion is this: Why are we even having a discussion about the
state of comparative linguistics, when in the natural sciences people
are heralding scores of important new claims based on what amounts to
the very same methodologies that linguists have employed since Bopp
and Grimm?

Thus, I think the questions that initiated this discussion are
directed more at the relationship of the discipline of comparative
linguistics to other disciplines and to the outside world.  How can we
make others understand the importance of our findings? Many biologists
think that birds evolved from dinosaurs.  Isn't it at least as
significant that some linguists consider the languages of North
America to belong to three families that reflect migration onto the
continent?

email:  jirsa at ix.netcom.com
tel:    (303) 464-0973