9.639, Qs: Part-of-Speech,Diacritics,Terminology,Winnebago

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri May 1 16:59:19 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-639. Fri May 1 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.639, Qs: Part-of-Speech,Diacritics,Terminology,Winnebago

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 29 Apr 1998 13:36:46 +0800 (SST)
From:  Ji Donghong <dhji at krdl.org.sg>
Subject:  what's behind Part-of-speech (II)?

2)
Date:  Wed, 29 Apr 1998 20:21:10 +0000
From:  lewisohn <lewisohn at globalnet.co.uk>
Subject:  Diacritics on the web

3)
Date:  Thu, 30 Apr 1998 17:32:39 +0200
From:  SEVERINE <valman at easynet.fr>
Subject:  Company database - Terminology

4)
Date:  Thu, 30 Apr 1998 23:50:19 +0200
From:  Elischa Ben-Ezra <uzs5ke at uni-bonn.de>
Subject:  Winnebago language

Date:  Wed, 29 Apr 1998 13:36:46 +0800 (SST)
From:  Ji Donghong <dhji at krdl.org.sg>

Several days ago, I posed a query "what's behind part-of-speech?", up
to now, more than 10 researchers have replied me. Now I would like to pose
another query on the topic before presenting a summarization:

    Q: Is the part-of-speech based on syntactic distribution a
       WELL-FORMED concept?

where I mean "WELL-FORMED" by the following condition 1) and 2):

    1) For a particular language, we can select, based on some resonable
       principles, some distribution information among all as criteria
       for POS definition.

    /* NOTE to 1): For a particular language, there may be too much
                   syntactic distribution information, and we cannot
                   list all. */

    2) We can select, based on some principles, some among all possibly
       produced classes as part-of-speech categories.

    /* NOTE to 2): Given a fixed set of distribution information as
                  constraints, there will produce many many classes based
                  on the constraints, or combinations of the constraints.
                  For example, given only two constraints, c1 and c2, we
                  may get the following conditions, with one condition
                  corresponding with one class:

                  c1, c2, c1 AND c2, c1 OR c2, NOT_c1, NOT_c2, ...

                  It seems difficult that we don't think they are classes
                  based on distribution. */

THE AIM OF THIS QUERY:

     1) if the answer to the query is YES, we should face the difficulties
        in Chinese POS definition, and try to find what really lead to
        them.

     2) if the answer to the query is NO, we should not seek POS based on
        distribution again, especially for the languages with few affixes,
        e.g., Chinese, and turn to other criteria.

Any comments or information will be highly appreciated. I will present a
suumarization.

Ji Donghong

Kent Ridge Digital Labs
Singapore 119613