9.666, Qs: preposed/suffix, Calendar,Program Requirements

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu May 7 10:23:16 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-666. Thu May 7 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.666, Qs: preposed/suffix, Calendar,Program Requirements

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Julie Wilson <julie at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 6 May 1998 17:40:58 -0500
From:  Marit.Julien at hum.uit.no
Subject:  Query: preposed/suffixed markers

2)
Date:  Wed, 06 May 1998 17:58:04 -0700
From:  Djehuti Sundaka <AHUGULEY at ix.netcom.com>
Subject:  Indigenous Afrikan Kalendar

3)
Date:  Wed, 06 May 1998 16:47:56 +0000
From:  Kuo-ming.Sung at lawrence.edu
Subject:  Query: lang requirement for undergrad ling

Date:  Wed, 6 May 1998 17:40:58 -0500
From:  Marit.Julien at hum.uit.no

I am wondering if there are any languages out there in which the verbal
inflectional system is such that one value of a feature is expressed by a
suffixed marker, whereas the opposite value of the same feature is realized
as a free marker preceding the verb. One example would be a language with a
suffix for and a free preceding marker for imperfective.
A similar existing case is the articles in Scandinavian, where the
indefinite article is a free marker preceding the noun, and the definite
article is a suffix. I am looking for more examples of this pattern, in
particular in the verbal system.

Marit Julien