9.676, Disc: Recent Change in English

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat May 9 01:40:18 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-676. Sat May 9 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.676, Disc: Recent Change in English

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 7 May 1998 12:11:47 -0400
From:  Marc Hamann <gmhamann at sickkids.on.ca>
Subject:  Re: 9.668, Disc: Recent Change in English

2)
Date:  Thu, 7 May 1998 21:58:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:  bwald at HUMnet.UCLA.EDU (bwald)

3)
Date:  Fri, 8 May 1998 01:02:51 EDT
From:  PBarr21106 <PBarr21106 at aol.com>

Date:  Thu, 7 May 1998 12:11:47 -0400
From:  Marc Hamann <gmhamann at sickkids.on.ca>

I wanted to comment on some of Marie-Lucie Tarpent's observations of
recent trends of Canadian morphology, since I have noticed them as
well.  In agreement with the sociolinguistic observations of Labov, I
have noticed that they are most pronounced in "lower middle class"
women.

>a.  at least in Canada, there seems to be a recent tendency to open
>the vowel in words like medicine, Megan, etc; again, i have not
>researched the conditioning systematically but it is not limited to
>the m-initial words where i first noticed it.  To me this
>pronunciation sounds rather "snotty".

If I understand correctly, you mean pronouncing "egg" and "beg" as
though they were "agg" and "bag".  This change has been going on for
some time (I remember noticing it as a kid.) and started in front of
voiced stops where vowel lengthening already existed.  In the speakers
with the most advanced change, this seems to have spread to before the
voiceless consonants as well, i.e. "Beck" pronounced more like "back".
As for the description of "snotty", I'm not sure what you mean, but I
certainly have the same gut reaction to this change that one might
have had to "Valley Girl" in the 80s. ;-}

>b.  another phonological change which is older is the increasing
>fronting of the vowel in words like "food".  Texts for students of
>French used to say that the vowel of words like "vous" was like that
>in "you" while that of "tu" was much more difficult for English
>speakers. But in fact the vowel of "food" is getting closer to that
>of "tu" (ie it is getting more and more fronted) and it is very
>difficult to teach English speakers to say the vowel of "vous".

I have noticed this as well, but I don't think the phonetic
description you give is quite right.  My analysis is that the change
is from [uw] to [iw], where "i" here represents a high central or back
unrounded nucleus. I can see though how this would be perceive as IP
"y" by a native speaker if French.

>I would not be surprised if structural changes like these were more
>obvious to non-native than native English-speaking linguists.

Though I do speak French as a near-native language, English is in fact
my mother tongue, so maybe I'm just weird. ;-}

- ---
Marc Hamann