9.680, Disc: Recent changes in English

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat May 9 16:01:39 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-680. Sat May 9 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.680, Disc: Recent changes in English

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Elaine Halleck <elaine at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 09 May 1998 20:10:18 +1000
From:  DZIEGELE at vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au
Subject:  Disc.: Recent change in English

2)
Date:  Sat, 09 May 1998 11:47:58 -0400
From:  MARC PICARD <picard at vax2.concordia.ca>
Subject:  Re: 9.676, Disc: Recent Change in English

3)
Date:  Sat, 9 May 1998 13:54:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:  manaster at umich.edu
Subject:  Re: 9.675, Disc: Recent Change in English

Date:  Sat, 09 May 1998 20:10:18 +1000
From:  DZIEGELE at vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au

One of the most noticeable changes that I have observed in recent
years, and one which seems to have become quite globalized (from my
own observations) is the use of 'Enjoy!' in the imperative without an
object. I have seen this form on bill-boards, heard in it restaurants
when food is served, and in many other service-oriented situations,
but I have never come across the 'intransitive' use of ENJOY in any
other expression (e.g. 'We enjoyed'; 'I am enjoying').

It would be interesting to find out if any such uses did exist, or if
other formerly transitive verbs are being used in the same way.

Debra Ziegeler

Dept. of Linguistics
Monash University
Clayton