9.686, Disc: Recent Change in English

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon May 11 09:59:37 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-686. Mon May 11 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.686, Disc: Recent Change in English

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 10 May 1998 13:45:58 -0700
From:  Lynn Santelmann <santelmannl at pdx.edu>
Subject:  Disc: Recent Change in English

2)
Date:  Sun, 10 May 1998 20:48:55 -0700
From:  keg at socrates.berkeley.edu (Keith GOERINGER)
Subject:  Re: 9.676, Disc: Recent Change in English

3)
Date:  Sun, 10 May 1998 22:58:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:  dcosta at socrates.berkeley.edu
Subject:  Re: 9.683, Disc: Recent Change in English

4)
Date:  Mon, 11 May 1998 09:48:20 +0100
From:  Patrick Juola <patrick.juola at psy.ox.ac.uk>
Subject:  Re: 9.680, Disc: Recent changes in English

Date:  Sun, 10 May 1998 13:45:58 -0700
From:  Lynn Santelmann <santelmannl at pdx.edu>

Recently, several constructions have come up in my classes as being
"new."  My "non-traditional" students (i.e. older) definitely find these
more novel or unusual than my younger students.

1. The increasing use of the progressive with verbs like "know" and "like"
"I'm liking that" vs. "I like that".

2. The use of "who" for "whoever" in the construction:
"Can I help who's next?" vs. "Can I help whoever's next?"
To my ears, "can I help who's next?" is simply ungrammatical, but I've
heard it often.

3. The use of "disappear" in passive constructions. "The dissidents were
disappeared in 1983". Interestingly, I haven't noticed an actual transitive
use of "disappear" yet, though I suspect it's only a matter of time.

Since the non-traditional students tend to be local (from Portland Oregon)
while the other students have more varied backgrounds, it's possible that
we also have some dialectal differences at work here.

Lynn Santelmann

Lynn Santelmann
Department of Applied Linguistics
Neuberger Hall