9.691, Disc: Recent Change in English

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon May 11 22:36:42 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-691. Mon May 11 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.691, Disc: Recent Change in English

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 11 May 1998 17:49:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:  Johanna Rubba <jrubba at polymail.cpunix.calpoly.edu>
Subject:  Re: 9.680, Disc: Recent changes in English

2)
Date:  Mon, 11 May 1998 11:06:01 -0400
From:  Peggy Speas <pspeas at linguist.umass.edu>
Subject:  Re: 9.683, Disc: Recent Change in English

3)
Date:  Mon, 11 May 1998 11:49:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:  Megan Elizabeth Melancon <mmelan2 at tiger.lsuiss.ocs.lsu.edu>
Subject:  Recent changes in English

Date:  Mon, 11 May 1998 17:49:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:  Johanna Rubba <jrubba at polymail.cpunix.calpoly.edu>

Re the fronted vowels, and 'ague and bague', both are common in the
dialect area in which I grew up, namely Southern New Jersey (which
also does 'Canadian' raising, but only of /ai/, not /au/, and only
before voiceless stops, except for 'spider'). I myself practiced the
very front <oo> in words like 'moon', 'food', and my sisters still do
(they still live there). As to 'ague' for 'egg' and 'bague' for 'bag',
they were considered substandard in my community and would be made fun
of. I believe they were associated with uneducated rural
speech. (though the whole area is, at best, suburban. Nearest urban
areas are Phila., Wilmington DE and Baltimore). I now hear the fronted
<oo> among my California-born and -bred students very frequently.

It certainly does seem that /E/ is opening up to something closer to
ash out here in CA. In fact, I believe there is a general shift going
on involving lowering of /I/ > [E] and /E/ > [ae]; monophthongization
of /ei/ and, very slightly, /ai/. /I/ raises to [i] and /ae/ to [E] or
[e] in front of the velar nasal, so that 'pink' is 'peenk' and 'bank'
is 'baynk'.  I've been wondering if anyone is undergoing a serious
study of the whole SoCal vowel system. It would be very interesting!

Johanna Rubba	Assistant Professor, Linguistics              ~
English Department, California Polytechnic State University   ~
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407                                     ~
Tel. (805)-756-2184  E-mail: jrubba at polymail.calpoly.edu      ~