9.698, Qs: Austronesian,Arabic/Berber,Yuman,Pronunciation

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue May 12 02:26:46 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-698. Tue May 12 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.698, Qs: Austronesian,Arabic/Berber,Yuman,Pronunciation

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 12 May 1998 14:16:21 +1000 (GMT+1000)
From:  Anna Shnukal <a.shnukal at mailbox.uq.edu.au>
Subject:  Austronesian Words

2)
Date:  Tue, 12 May 1998 22:33:30 +1000
From:  zouhir gabsi <z.gabsi at uws.edu.au>
Subject:  Feminine Marker in Arabic/Berber

3)
Date:  Mon, 11 May 1998 13:01:19 -0600
From:  pmillar at cadvision.com (Paul Millar)
Subject:  Yuman Langs

4)
Date:  Mon, 11 May 1998 21:54:12 +0300
From:  "Kaisa Hirvinen" <Kaisa.Hirvinen at Helsinki.FI>
Subject:  Foreign Language Pronunciation Skills

Date:  Tue, 12 May 1998 14:16:21 +1000 (GMT+1000)
From:  Anna Shnukal <a.shnukal at mailbox.uq.edu.au>

Dear LINGUIST list subscribers,

Can anybody please identify the following words (possibly from an
Austronesian language)?  They are in a manuscript in Kala Lagaw Ya (a
traditional Torres Strait language) and are used for the months, but
nobody I've asked knows them or knows where they came from.

The words are: Nume, Sata, Waidosia, Buke, Zime, Meu, Keu, Ulu, Sia,
Naia, Waidomi, Lubarere. A couple are boat names in Torres Strait but
not all.  It's a puzzle.